starting strength gym

Thread: Specialty bars

Default Specialty bars

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Andy,
    There was a question a while back about the use of the safety squat bar and Swiss/football bar in place of the main barbell lifts. You advised the guy to maybe use them no more than 50% of the time . My question is what would the average person (non competitive lifter) lose by not performing a traditional squat over the safety bar squat or close grip Swiss bar bench over straight bar besides the obvious answer that one would be moving less weight.

Specialty bars should really be reserved for supplemental lifts for most guys on this board. It gives you a way to load a similar movement pattern with slightly less weight without just going "light" on the main lifts.

Gotcha -thanks

I used a Texas something or other deadlift bar at a gym I go to in holidays when thr y is closed and I did 15 pounds greater than my planned set because of thr bar bending. So I was able to do more weight but I suspect a physics calculation of total work done would be about equal to thr work done at normal weight with thr stiff ass YMCA bars I normally use

Yes, usually with the bendy narrower competition deadlift bars you can pull a little more weight. I have one here at the gym, but we rarely if ever use it

I thought this was going to be about a pirate bar or a 1920's gangster themed bar. That was a giant let down. It is no good, I am an emotional wreck now.

starting strength coach development program
    Yes, I would have been more excited about that too.