starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaining 100 lbs in both squat and dead lift for a newb. getting to 400#s

Default Gaining 100 lbs in both squat and dead lift for a newb. getting to 400#s

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    i started lifting after like 3 years on Feb 10th. Since I've gotten my squat up to either 3x3 or 5x5 of 275.

Based on the newbs you have trained how long has it taken them or yourself to add 100 pounds on your squat. I want to move 400.

Same with dead lift, i'm at about 275 3x3 looking to get to 400.

Any experience on time line. As far as volume I'll do whats recommended.

Either 3X3 or 5X5? Do you not keep track of your reps and sets? That would be the first step to making progress towards 400.

You'll find a lot of people here like Rip's Starting Strength program, or some of the variants of it laid out in Practical Programming. It is a very difficult thing to say how long it will take you to reach your desired numbers because of the number of variables involved. What we can say for sure is that the time will be measured in months. Depending on who you are, it might be four months, or maybe sixteen months. It is likely that your deadlift will reach 400 before your squat does. We have no idea how tall you are, what you weigh, how old you are, how much you eat, how much you are willing to eat, how you train, how often you train, and probably four or five other considerations that would impact all of this. It's also not clear how much you squat now. There's a big difference between a 5x5 and a 3x3.

I got
    315 x 5 - Sept 13 2010
    405 x 3 - March 11 2011
    6 months
    I weight 200 lbs
    I use 8 sets of 3 reps for my volume day and I SWEAR by it.
    Last edited by Carnivroar; 03-12-2011 at 11:03 PM.

how much weight did you add to your lifts using 8x3?

Quote Originally Posted by exter View Post
    how much weight did you add to your lifts using 8x3?
    squats
    365 x 3 --> 405 x 3
    in 6 weeks

wow , was 365 your real max or what you started with ?
    what did you add to your bench , press ?

Also , in PPST it says if you are seeking raw strength then it is better to keep (excessive) volume out of your training and focus on more intensity.
    8x3 seems very much to me.
    I'm not talking out of experience , but why not do 6x3 (like the example in the book) ?
    Personally , I intend to do 4x3 and then 2x20 on squats for conditioning.

carniroar thanks for digging into your mental diary.

Tom i totally understand but i still had to ask.

in a link called "clarification" i have to read it again but i think it says 60 pounds squat increase in 4 weeks, then 40 month two and three. So i seen 140 pounds to my squat in 3 months 4 with a stall, diet break down or DOMS still seems like a bargin.
    Tonight i did a barbell set and its the first since February. I got to 230 x 3 and 250 x 1. I don't know if that 140 is on the work set or the 1RM but I'll be happy if its to the 1RM.

I know the difference between 5x5 and 3x3 is volume but i don't know what that will translate to ya know.

Quote Originally Posted by exter View Post
    wow , was 365 your real max or what you started with ?
    what did you add to your bench , press ?

Also , in PPST it says if you are seeking raw strength then it is better to keep (excessive) volume out of your training and focus on more intensity.
    8x3 seems very much to me.
    I'm not talking out of experience , but why not do 6x3 (like the example in the book) ?
    Personally , I intend to do 4x3 and then 2x20 on squats for conditioning.
    Some explanation here. Carnivoar is an intermediate lifter (after he did SS). He modified TM, so that volume day was 8x3 instead of 5x5, and it worked for him. Justin of 70sbig.com suggests this if 5x5 is not working. The idea is to get around 24-25 reps on volume day. Carnivoar still does one or two sets of 3 for high intensity in Friday.
    Last edited by Rezart Erindi; 07-29-2011 at 02:58 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    What were your starting lifts after your 3 year break? I'm just trying to figure out how much weight you added to your lifts in the first 5 months.

Like other have said, if you stick with a plan like TM, you will probably be able to get there faster than you think (measuring in months as someone else said). Make sure to eat enough calories to support recovery and try to get plenty of rest. You picked a great place to get advice, a lot of these guys (Carni, Hamburger, Carlos, and tons of others) all did what you are attempting to do... they have a lot of knowledge and will be able to help you with this. Check their logs for more info as well.

Best of luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast