starting strength gym

Thread: Losing weight on this program?

Default Losing weight on this program?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Does anyone have experience with trying to lose weight with this program?

I'm starting off with 5'7'' 215lb about 34% body fat. I'll be fine with swapping muscle with fat, but at that height I probably shouldn't weigh more than 200. 180 would be ideal - but probably far fetched.

Diet and cardio never did much for me - I am trying this out now.

What should I expect as I continue on this program?
    Yesterday - I ate huge amounts if food - but clicked in at 2650 cal.

I'll probably be under 3000 calories - with most calories coming from protein rich food, fruits, vegetables and milk. Cutting down on carbs. Not calorie counting.

Post Session 3 stats:
    Bench:125
    Dead lift: 145
    Overhead:75
    Squat:130
    Last edited by M@ver1ck; 08-05-2014 at 09:16 AM.

Slow at first. You're similar to a guy I'm training right now. He's in his early 30s and slightly larger and taller than you. Similar goals.

Expect to see some firming up first. Arms, legs, shoulders, back etc. The added muscle adds weight to your body, but you also lose a little fat. The two will cancel each other out for a while, so if you measure success by the scale only, you may initially be disappointed. Patience, Mav.

Make sure you take body measurements. There will be a time when you don't lose any weight but you do lose inches. At that moment you'll be encouraged by the tape measure and it'll keep you motivated.

Try hiring Jordan for a month of nutritional counseling which will save you money in the long run.

Losing weight while squatting heavy is gonna be tough. You'll be surprised at the effect this has on your appetite. You're gonna need to eat, son...that said, I'm no expert and maybe you'll have a different experience than I've had.

My guess is that you will start noticing (relatively quickly) that you're happier with the quality of the weight you're carrying and re-evaluate wanting to lose weight in the first place. 215 at 5'7" isn't really all that outrageous if you carry it well.

In any event...congrats on making the great decision to get involved in this. You won't regret it.
    Last edited by ud2o; 08-05-2014 at 12:13 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks all around for the support guys. Appreciate it!