starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: aerobic exercise post lifting or pre?

Default aerobic exercise post lifting or pre?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi,

I'm a lightweight rower, so a weight class athlete who has to concentrate on a high training load for rowing. But I want to get strong.

So it's the perfect combination :P (don't worry I know its not )

Now, i've just begun the off season, and want to get strong. I'm eating at a little under maintenace, and following TM. The thing is, I want to develop my aerobic base, and am going to do so by spending time on the bike. My question is, is it more beneficial to lift first then sit on the stationary bike for 30 mins at 70-75% max HR, or in the morning, say at 7am, and lift at 3pm?

I'm thinking doing the aerobic exercise after gym, but want to make sure this won't affect recovery too badly.

I've started a log in the intermediate logs if you'd like to follow my progress
    (http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=22475)

Thanks in advance

Obviously, your priority should be on getting the most out of your workout. Therefore anything extra like your biking will be done after your workout. If they're both done in the same day, then the order won't affect your recovery. If you're concerned about recovery pay attention to your diet and sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by scoott56 View Post
    Hi,

I'm a lightweight rower, so a weight class athlete who has to concentrate on a high training load for rowing
    Wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    Wtf?
    Rowers are divided into lightweight and heavyweight classes.

OP:

Row after on days you squat or DL. Rowing will definitely have an effect on recovery since it is heavily taxing on legs and lower back. You can probably skip the light day as a result. Since you are DLing, you'll want to watch you recovery closely there as that will likely be impacted even more by rowing. Maybe consider every 9 days on DL.

I forsee a regression in performance trying to do the texas method, plus cardio while eating under maintenance.

Don't try eating under maintenance unless you are overfat, as it wont work when you are trying to progress.

Aerobic conditioning before you lift, as there have been studies that show that it interferes with the adaptations the strength training produces if you follow strength training. Your best scenario would be to separate the two sessions by a couple hours if you can work that into your schedule. Cardio in the morning and strength training in the afternoon. Your adaptation from cardio happens in hours, while your adaptation from strength training occurs in days after the session.

Pick a priority and use block periodization. Say eight weeks focusing on strength while maintaining your aerobic capacity, then a block where you prioritize developing your aerobic capacity while maintaining your strength gains. You'll end up developing both more than you would by trying to push them both at the same time.

what are the signs of not recovering? is it soreness or overall fatigue.

When you feel crappier each workout than the previous one, and you feel psychologically crushed by the weights and start bombing on your work sets.

Quote Originally Posted by thersites View Post
    Don't try eating under maintenance unless you are overfat, as it wont work when you are trying to progress.

Aerobic conditioning before you lift, as there have been studies that show that it interferes with the adaptations the strength training produces if you follow strength training. Your best scenario would be to separate the two sessions by a couple hours if you can work that into your schedule. Cardio in the morning and strength training in the afternoon. Your adaptation from cardio happens in hours, while your adaptation from strength training occurs in days after the session.

Pick a priority and use block periodization. Say eight weeks focusing on strength while maintaining your aerobic capacity, then a block where you prioritize developing your aerobic capacity while maintaining your strength gains. You'll end up developing both more than you would by trying to push them both at the same time.
    Agree.
    PPST mentions that sperating the two by as little as an hour can blunt the 'negative' effects of endurance training. Also, training endurance by doing Tababtas are likely to have the least negative impact on strength development (the book only mentions HIIT, not tabatas specifically, and even then only in vague terms). Also, Tabatas are THE SEX for improving your endurance. Google that shiz.

And if you're already in the right weightclass, and you plan on adding MORE work to your program eat ABOVE your normal maintanence requirements or your gains will be slower. On the otherhand, I guess the least amount of weight in the boat makes it easiest, so it might not be fair on your crewmates (team rowing?) if you put on a tonne of muscle (not that this is likely to happen, even if you eat above maintainence.)

/thoughts

starting strength coach development program
    And, stalled progress (not just for psychological reasons), significantly shorter temper (stress hormones), and sleep problems, among others. It is always better to start modest, and then add in by steps, as you'll better learn where your limits are (these can change with training, but not so much so fast) and you'll generally end up further ahead in the long run.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast