starting strength gym

Thread: Minimalist program

Default Minimalist program

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hello,

I have an autoimmune disease (crohns) and have to take several medications that suppress my immune system. Previously I had good success with the SS program but I have found I cannot stick to using 3 heavy compound lifts each training day. I have been sick off and on for the past year and have lost a little over 50 lbs. During this period I tried to go to the gym at various times when I felt better but I would quickly get sick again.

I realized now that I need a more stripped down program until my health improves. In early May I came up with this:

Mon
    Squat 3x5
    Press/Bench press 3x5

Wed
    Deadlift 1x5
    Press/Bench press 3x5

Fri
    Squat 3x5
    Press/Bench press 3x5

My progress has been steady doing this and I am happy that I am able to continue training while staying healthy. My question for you is, what would you do to improve this? Given that I'd like to stick to 1-2 core lifts a day. I not sure if I should be doing squats 3x a week and only pressing 2x, or maybe even do some kind of 4 day split etc.
    For assistance I do chin ups, push ups, or dips, if I have the energy for them.

23 y.o. male, 6'3 155 lbs.

Thank you for your time. I appreciate any advice you have for me.

The program you laid out will work fine if you can manage it.

Otherwise, you can shorter it down even more with something like this:

Bench
    Squat
    Off
    Press
    Deads
    Off
    Off

Since you say it looks ok and my progress in the last month has been good I will stick with what I'm doing. Thank you for your help!

Kel, I have had Ulcerative Colitis (very similar to Crohn's) for 10 years and also do stripped down training like this. Getting the adequate amount of food in for recovery is very hard as we both know.

Just by experimenting I actually arrived at the very program Andy has suggested, and it works. Progress is obviously slower, but you can progress. I throw pullups in whenever I think they won't impede any recovery, usually 7-8 sets a week. I'm closing in on a bodyweight press now. You can still get pretty far with suboptimal, and sometimes very suboptimal, recovery.