starting strength gym

Thread: Cues

Default Cues

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Mr. Rippetoe,

Am I right if I use the following visualisation when doing the deadlift?
    Once the bar reaches knee level I think 'pelvic thrust' for the hip action. Am I correct in doing that? I go under the impression that the whole lift should be done without using the back at all except for being a straight rod on which my arms hang.

And a follow up question: did you ever write a short list of cues people can use on the lifts?
    E.g. Something in the vain of" Squat: Chest out; Lead out with hips; Knees open"?

(It would be realy cool if you'd do such a thing on audio. Then people like me could be shouted at by you even though we can't make it to your gym.)

Which direction are you thrusting your pelvis? And a list of cues is useless in the absence of the correct application of the cue, which requires experience and correct judgement. I can't make a tape of judgement for you. Sorry. It would sell well.

Default use of back.

I mean hipthrust toward the bar.
    I just wanted to confirm that the weight is lifted by the legs, that the only thing the back muscles need to do is keeping the back straight.

Thanks again for the book, it helps people who don't have coaches available a lot.

The hip thrust towards the bar-cue works well for the rack pull, where there is no knee extension to perform due to the position from which the movement starts. If you do this in a deadlift at that same position you will go forward on to your toes. Just above the knees in a deadlift you'll still be extending the knees, so you'll still be pushing the floor with your feet. About mid-thigh you'll just lift your chest up.

Default thanks

Thanks, I should have paid better attention to the book and think push feet into the floor. Still need to learn a lot, but I'm only in my 3rd weeks into the program so I hope I will catch on.