starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Coaches, I'd really appreciate a form check for this last set of 5 squats at 295 lbs. Two things that I want to apologize for in advance: 1) my head comes up pretty much immediately at the bottom (I was pretty bummed to see how bad this is when I first reviewed the video), and 2) the height of the camera is just above hip-height - I will film from eye-level in the future.

BS set 3 of 3x5@295 2017-08-25 - YouTube

I am interested in any and all insights for corrections, but would especially like an assessment of the following:
    -knee position: Am I keeping my knees out enough?
    -depth: Depth is pretty iffy in the first couple reps and just gets higher. Are they at parallel? (I understand if the height of the video makes this difficult to assess.)
    -bar postion: I'm new to low bar squats (from high bar) and think it still might be a bit high.
    -elbow/wrist position: This was one of the first sessions since 275 lbs. that I didn't have excrutiating elbow pain after squatting. I really focused on pulling the bar down using my lats, but am curious if there are other/different things to work on.

Thanks!

1. Set the hooks one notch lower on the rack.

2. Get the bar a little lower on your back and make sure your feet are under the bar and your hips are back before you unrack it. Put your hands more to the top of the bar than under it (see how your wrists are bent?). Get your whole back into extension first.

3. Once you've unracked, take a narrower stance. Try a foot's width narrower on each side. Lock your back into extension. Break at the hips and knees simultaneously and aim your chest at the floor and keep your face aimed there, too. Your knees need to be driven out to the sides to stay over your feet. Your knees will also travel forward, but should stop once they're at your toes and they should get to this point by the time you're halfway down. They stay there until you are halfway back up.

4. On the ascent, keep your back locked, your head aimed down, and drive with your hips.

Where do you live?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    1. Set the hooks one notch lower on the rack.

2. Get the bar a little lower on your back and make sure your feet are under the bar and your hips are back before you unrack it. Put your hands more to the top of the bar than under it (see how your wrists are bent?). Get your whole back into extension first.

3. Once you've unracked, take a narrower stance. Try a foot's width narrower on each side. Lock your back into extension. Break at the hips and knees simultaneously and aim your chest at the floor and keep your face aimed there, too. Your knees need to be driven out to the sides to stay over your feet. Your knees will also travel forward, but should stop once they're at your toes and they should get to this point by the time you're halfway down. They stay there until you are halfway back up.

Do you think my toes are pointed out at an appropriate angle?

4. On the ascent, keep your back locked, your head aimed down, and drive with your hips.
    Thanks, Jeff Illingworth! Setting the bar lower in the rack makes sense. I see what you mean about getting my hands over the bar and keeping my wrists straight. Going for a narrower stance surprises me, but I will try it. Thanks for the reminder about keeping my head down and focusing on hip drive.

Where do you live?
    I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area - I'm thinking about doing a session or two with a SSC nearby. Maybe even Tom C. if I'm lucky.

You're in a lucky spot for coaching. If you can't get in with Tom, I'd strongly recommend the Bay Strength folks (I've had a session with Gwyn Brookes and can personally recommend her). If you do any traveling to the east, we've got some good ones Sacramento, too.

The bar is too high on your back. Your stance is too wide, heels should be under your shoulder joint. Eye focus should be down and forward ( don't look ay the mirror). Your squats are shallow.

You're in a lucky spot for coaching. If you can't get in with Tom, I'd strongly recommend the Bay Strength folks (I've had a session with Gwyn Brookes and can personally recommend her). If you do any traveling to the east, we've got some good ones Sacramento, too.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I've heard good things about Gwyn from other folks too.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Nathan View Post
    The bar is too high on your back. Your stance is too wide, heels should be under your shoulder joint. Eye focus should be down and forward ( don't look ay the mirror). Your squats are shallow.
    Thanks for the feedback. I've got some good stuff to work on this evening.