starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back injury and deadlift form

Default Back injury and deadlift form

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Mark,

Over the past 4 years, I've had trouble with my low back. Theres but a number of times where ive felt it give, or a pop, on both warm ups and work sets. Sometimes im fine a week later, twice ive had to rehab it for months before I could lift heavy again. I'm scheduled to have an MRI, and have started to rehab, but was hoping you could take a look at my form:

Here's the last set I did at 237kg: 237 kg x 5 DL - YouTube

A few workouts later I'd hurt it warming up with 140kg.

Have you read the book? It teaches you about these things. Your hips are too low/knees too far forward.

I have long legs and tight hamstrings, so it's hard for me to reach for the bar without my knees forward, and I imagine would be even harder if my hips were higher.

I've been working on my hamstrings, so I hope to adjust the lift according to your advice.

I have read the book, but I admit I haven't looked at it in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by mps View Post
    I have long legs and tight hamstrings, so it's hard for me to reach for the bar without my knees forward, and I imagine would be even harder if my hips were higher.
    Huh, that's weird... I could have sworn I saw your hips go way up, your knees come back, and your hands stayed on the bar just before each pull.

What's the purpose of the MRI?

So I am in the correct position contrary to what Mark said? I don't get what you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by mps View Post
    So I am in the correct position contrary to what Mark said? I don't get what you're saying.
    No, I agree with Rip. You're not in the correct position when you start the pull.

But your hamstrings are quite obviously flexible enough to allow you to get into a higher-hip position and still reach the bar... because you do it in the split second before dropping your hips on every single rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Baraki View Post
    No, I agree with Rip. You're not in the correct position when you start the pull.

But your hamstrings are quite obviously flexible enough to allow you to get into a higher-hip position and still reach the bar... because you do it in the split second before dropping your hips on every single rep.
    Oh right. I see the issue. Thanks for the help Mark & Austin.

I went through the steps in the book again, but I simply cannot grip the bar without bending my knees. I think Austin was saying I do get in the right position at some point in my pull, but that's only when I can use the weighted bar to pull myself into position.

I'm working on my flexibility, but for now I am pulling myself back before the lift: File 000 - YouTube

I think my hips are also low as a result of the inflexibility. Is this an okay position to lift in as I continue to work on my mobility?

starting strength coach development program
    Your hips are low because you are lowering your hips. Don't lower your hips.

Better yet, find a SSC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast