starting strength gym

Thread: Rogue High Temp Bumpers

Default Rogue High Temp Bumpers

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip,

You suggested Rouge as a good place to look for quality inexpensive bumper plates. After researching I am getting ready to place an order with Rouge tomorrow. Are getting 10 pound plates worth the money or am I better off sticking to the 25 pound plates and up? My question is more about saving money. I have already bought about 500 pounds in cast iron plates and do not want to buy anything that is not needed. I am frugal and try to get the most bang for my buck.

Thanks

10 pound bumpers? Depends on who you're training.

I have 10 pound bumpers and use them to do the "empty bar" sets on power cleans, because I need all the warm up I can get.

I would say that 10#ers are a luxury. They break easily so don't last long if used by themselves. They also sag and don't place the bar at the correct height. The hi-tech plastic plates are more expensive, but a much better buy long term. The 5# set is more useful than the 10# set IMO.

The only thing the 10#ers have going for them is that they are quiet compared to a 10# metal or plastic plate.

IMO the hi-temps are too bouncy.

Matt

For the expense, if you are training someone that needs the light plate frequently (for whatever reason), you might be better off with a set of technique plates - they're expensive, but a one time only purchase. 10 pound bumpers could be a significant recurring expense depending on use and frequency of drop.

Using 10 pound bumpers is useful to help new trainees learn the correct bar height for deadlift or even warmups for these new athletes.

Dropping 10 pound bumpers from overhead after doing a snatch will taco the plates if they land crooked. The 15 lb plates are wide enough to take a beating.

The rogue high-temp bumpers are good and will last a long time. I have a set myself including some 10s.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    10 pound bumpers? Depends on who you're training.
    I've got the 10lb Rogue Hi-Temps, and they're great. They make nice technique plates/warmup plates for cleans and the like. Nice having something lighter than the 25s that still gets the bar at about the right height (they are slightly but inconsequentially smaller in diameter than my other bumpers which are Pendlay's Econos). They were a hell of a lot cheaper than plastic technique plates in any case, so are worth it from that standpoint.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear59 View Post
    Rip,

You suggested Rouge as a good place to look for quality inexpensive bumper plates. After researching I am getting ready to place an order with Rouge tomorrow. Are getting 10 pound plates worth the money or am I better off sticking to the 25 pound plates and up? My question is more about saving money. I have already bought about 500 pounds in cast iron plates and do not want to buy anything that is not needed. I am frugal and try to get the most bang for my buck.

Thanks
    Have a carpenter make some technique plates from scrap plywood if that is what you need; you should not be dropping that light weight anyway. If it is just for loading, using metal tens on a bar with rubber 45s will be fine.