starting strength gym

Thread: How to stop knees from going forward

Default How to stop knees from going forward

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've been doing SS for about 6 weeks now and have improved quite a bit. Unfortunately I seem to have the dreaded tendinitis that Rip talks about in SS. My hip flexors are almost constantly sore and they burn like crazy when i actually squat. I am pretty positive it is because my knees go forward and my hamstrings aren't doing their job. There are a couple things that I hoped to get advice on.

1) What can I do to make sure my form is correct and my knees stay back. Even when I try to cut back on the weigh, when I get near parallel and below, my hips are screaming at me.

2) Should I hold off on squats for a couple weeks until the pain/soreness in the hips subsides or should I concentrate on form and push through?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!

yeah i know how youre feeling.
    I'd say stretch them everyday first and take it easy on the squats for a little while.

A video of your squat would help but this is what i did:
    Close up the squat stance a tiny bit and focus on sitting BACK like into a seat.
    Or you can do the block of wood like it says in the book

I had the hip-flexor problem and I found that using a tennis ball/lacrosse ball/foam roller to mash the knots out really helped.

Form wise, I widened my stance a bit, pointed the toes out more and focused on really pushing the knees out early.

As Jamesc said, you should really post a form video so the experienced guys can critique it.