starting strength gym

Thread: Fugly PR Squat Critique

Default Fugly PR Squat Critique

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'd appreciate some analysis and criticism of my recent back squat PR set. I can see a whole mess of problems with it, but I'll wait to post my thoughts until you guys rip me up a bit.

I'm on 5/3/1 and this was my week 3 workout. I did 5x230, 3x267.5, and then the 300 set below. I was hoping for 3x300, with 5x300 as an absolute best case. I got 4, so I'm happy with that. That said, my form leaves a lot to be desired. You'll see me pause after the 4th rep in the video. I was thinking about going for a 5th but I felt a tiny tweak in my lower back and decided to check my ego and just be happy with 4.

4x300

I've been on 5/3/1 for eight or nine cycles now and I'm making steady gains in both DL and BS, with press and bench lagging behind a bit. My previous squat PR was 290, back in September, so hitting 300 for 4 is some decent progress.

Now let me state that I understand this is a max effort, but that last rep was bordering on dangerous.

Some things I would work on:
    Slow your descent a bit, you seem to be just dropping in there
    Cut your depth a tad...I think this has a lot to do with my final cue...
    Shove those knees out, you are not getting much help from your posterior chain, I would reset and really focus on setting those knees and not let them cave in

T

Your knees are collapsing in, your weight is shifting around between rearfoot and forefoot throughout the squat, your spine may be flexing on the ascent (tough to say for sure from this angle), you are sending your hips back instead of up, and you are moving your head an awful lot. TS32's recommendations above are solid.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, that's pretty much what I see as well. The knee collapsing issue is a constant one for me. I'm fine at lower weights, but when things get really tough my reptile brain just seems to take over and my "shove the knees out" cue goes right out the window. Can anyone suggest some assistance exercises to help correct whatever adductor/abductor imbalance I have?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteknight View Post
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions, that's pretty much what I see as well. The knee collapsing issue is a constant one for me. I'm fine at lower weights, but when things get really tough my reptile brain just seems to take over and my "shove the knees out" cue goes right out the window. Can anyone suggest some assistance exercises to help correct whatever adductor/abductor imbalance I have?
    Not for nothing, but IMO it's a mental hurdle, not a physical one. No assistance exercise is going to make the weight feel any lighter, and 300 lbs on your back is intimidating no matter how heavy your good mornings are.

You need to grit your teeth and do the reps correctly in spite of what the lizard brain says.