starting strength gym

Thread: My tight hamstrings do not affect my squatting ability...

Default My tight hamstrings do not affect my squatting ability...

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    My hamstrings are fairly tight. There is tension at 45 degrees if I do a straight leg raise, yet I can maintain lumbar extension during high-bar squats, and to the point where further visible depth can only be achieved through intentionally tilting my pelvis/flexing my low-back. High bars squats are not my preference, they're merely what I'm used to. My lower back is apparently very flexible according to the high scores I get with "sit and reach" tests - they're certainly not a result of hamstring extensibility.

Also, I've noticed that my max squat (last work sets on LP were 127kg) is stronger (or at least equivalent to) my max deadlift (a max of 130kg is in me, but not tested).

So I was wondering whether a greater hamstring ROM could improve my technique in things like the olympic lifts? Do I have to passively/dynamically stretch? Do I even have to worry about it? Can it prevent injury, for instance?

I plan to program RDLs into my training once I reach an intermediate level, but this won't be soon.
    Last edited by aa7; 07-23-2011 at 01:58 PM.

I kind of regret making this thread.

Why are you surprised that there is tension at 45 degrees, yet you can maintain lumbar extension during high-bar squats? Why would that alone make you overly flexible?

All the google experts say that if the your hamstrings can stretch out to 90 degrees with moderate tension, then that's normal hamstring flexibility. I'm 50% of that.

I've just read the Active Hip article, so now I see that hamstrings aren't the key to a deep squat, but I'm still wondering if a lack of hamstring extensibility will put me at a disadvantage for anything involving the olympic lifts. I watch videos of all kinds of elite weightlifters and a lot of them seem to stretch and stretch well.

Flexibility is not the sole determinant in your success with the O-lifts. You need some kind of baseline mobility, but you need not be all that flexible to progress. Your training will also help to develop the mobility you need, provided you maintain solid mechanics. I think that as you work on the lifts over time, you will get an idea of what is holding you back. Lack of flexibility may not affect your lifts, but it can sometimes contribute to nagging injuries. I realize that is kind of a wishy washy answer, but that's the best I've got this morning.