starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Just wondering if the collective might of wisdom on SS could assess my current squat form at the below link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn8iNB97_NE

I know the angle is not the best (according to the sticky my death is now immenient) but it's all I could do at the time. Apparently the gym has a policy against photos/videos so this was done discreetly. New gym is now being sought.

This is week 1 on the SS proper and I wanted to make sure I am doing things vaguely right before trying to up the weight, which is currently at 100 kgs (that's 220 pounds for those more savvy with archaic forms of measurement).

Note: whilst the current shoes are are hard soled, proper lifting shoes are on their way!

Cheers.

The form taught in SS revolves around the idea of a vertical bar path in which the CCOG (combined center of gravity) of the barbell + lifter is over midfoot. This means that the bar should more or less travel straight-ish up and down in a straight path, and if you drew a line down from the bar when viewed from the side, it should more or less bisect the foot.

So: describe your bar path. I am guessing, based on the fact that it shifts forward quite a bit on each rep, that you need to focus on two things: getting the knees out and keeping the chest up. You're just a hair high on most reps (i.e. not getting below parallel), and I think this has something to do with your bar path, along with the knees out thing.
    Last edited by blowdpanis; 07-28-2011 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
    Just wondering if the collective might of wisdom on SS could assess my current squat form at the below link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn8iNB97_NE

I know the angle is not the best (according to the sticky my death is now immenient) but it's all I could do at the time. Apparently the gym has a policy against photos/videos so this was done discreetly. New gym is now being sought.

This is week 1 on the SS proper and I wanted to make sure I am doing things vaguely right before trying to up the weight, which is currently at 100 kgs (that's 220 pounds for those more savvy with archaic forms of measurement).

Note: whilst the current shoes are are hard soled, proper lifting shoes are on their way!

Cheers.
    You can look at my comments over at FGF, where you also posted this video, but did not note that you had also posted it here. Here's one bit of advice: Don't get weightlifting advice from cyclists.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 08-02-2011 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in ATL View Post
    Don't get weightlifting advice from cyclists.
    *Except for Steve. Steve knows what he's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    *Except for Steve. Steve knows what he's doing.
    (He's also not longer a cyclist!) ;-)

But thanks spar!

Noted and, ah noted (you mean I shouldn't listen to the cyclists who have told me I need to do 50 reps+ to help with my "power"??)

Thanks for the feedback thus far.

I will get a proper video done and post once completed.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
    Noted and, ah noted (you mean I shouldn't listen to the cyclists who have told me I need to do 50 reps+ to help with my "power"??)

Thanks for the feedback thus far.

I will get a proper video done and post once completed.
    Also note my comments over at FGF, which I did not reporduce here, as they were on a different video posted later than this one.