starting strength gym

Thread: Getting rid of hip pain

Default Getting rid of hip pain

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    So every once in a while (3 months or so) I get hip pain (left; anterior) Mainly caused by doing squats more frequently and being seated for many hours. I'm currently taking squats off for a few days and trying to move around through the day. Right now the pain is not as bad as before, I can still squat but I feel tightness in the area and I'm afraid it might get worse. Any tips?

Quit sitting

Make sure you don't have FAI ( google it). Can lead to some bad stuff down the road. Go see an ortho.

Could be FAI. Could also be an issue in your squats. Has it only been happening since you started low bar squatting? How does running feel?

Do you have any videos of your squats to post? Could be a lot of things...but knee slide at the bottom of a squat can really fuck hips up.

I've had a brutal time ridding myself of knee slide...and in the past I've had searing hip pain (tendonitis) on only my left side. I've minimized the knee slide and the pain is gone.

I had FAI, ended up causing some labral tearing in my right hip. Now it pops n grinds, plus I have a hip asymmetry now. You definitely want to avoid this. But then, I am not sure exactly how.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Do you have any videos of your squats to post? Could be a lot of things...but knee slide at the bottom of a squat can really fuck hips up.

I've had a brutal time ridding myself of knee slide...and in the past I've had searing hip pain (tendonitis) on only my left side. I've minimized the knee slide and the pain is gone.
    This is what happened to me but I gave it to myself from not pushing my knees out and folding over my hips in the hole. Hurt like hell, I'm just barely getting over it. I got patellar tendonitis from knee slide. That sucked too.

I visited a chiropractor for hip pain just like yours and it was gone in two sessions.

Dude, go see an ortho and get some imaging. If it is fai, get surgery. If its not, work on your form, post vids, etc. if you keep squatting with fai, you are heading for a hip replacement.

starting strength coach development program
    I get horrific pain in my hip joints. Sometimes it will fade away. Other times I go to the orthopedist. It has been diagnosed as bursitis (usually in the shoulder, but sometimes in the hips). If the doctor gets the cortisone in the exact right spot the pain will fade away almost before I am off the table. Other times it takes two or three days to clear up. It always works. I've had it done four times in the past 14 years. (You can repeat the treatment as often as once every 3 months.) The injected cortisone is non-systemic.

I usually wait until the pain becomes unbearable and keeps me awake at night before I go for a treatment as sometimes it clears up on its own. But if it goes on for a few weeks and continues to get worse I see the doctor.

If it is bursitis it is very treatable. An orthopedic surgeon will be able to make that determination.

The best feeling in the world is when a really bad attack occurs and the doctor hits the exact spot for the bursar sac and the pain fades away while you are on the table. Bliss.