starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check For Hip Pain

Default Squat Form Check For Hip Pain

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    I'm having pain at the very top of the lift, right when I finish straightening my hips. You'll notice in the video how I slow down right there. I took a week off and it's better, but I'm not feeling comfortable going higher. The pain is toward the front of my hips and a little into the groin/adductor area.

For reference: 5'5", 174 lbs. I'd previously completed 3x5 at 265 lbs. before this hip pain started. It's now taken me twice to get 230 lbs again.

I am not a doctor so I am not addressing your pain issues. Are you trying to high bar squat or low bar squat?

Your knees are traveling too far forward. Looks like your toes are pointed out too far. You also look off balance on several of these reps; see how your feet roll inwards on R1? That instability is not good. Think about investing in some appropriate footware.

Establish your feet with your toes at 30 degrees out and track your knees over your toes, set your knees about 1/3 to 1/2 way down and get into your hips. Think about keeping the bar over your midfoot for the duration of the set.

Thank you! I'm trying to do low bar, which you confirmed that I'm not getting the bar low enough. I watched Rip's squat grip video today, going to work on that.

I'm wrestling with foot angle, I think I'm around 30 degrees, but maybe I'm a little wider. I'll try narrower and get another video.

The instability is part fear, the hip pain was really bad last week. It's now just annoying but I get a little tingle of fear each time I start out of the hole. I'm seeing a doctor on Monday.

It pretty much looks like a highbar squat.

Check this vid for the back angle an compare to yours

Correct Back Angle | On the Platform - YouTube

Yeah, also that thing with the knees. They shall NOT move forward anymore once you are in the 2nd half of your descent.
    Last edited by Sven Wilhelm; 07-08-2016 at 05:06 AM.

Thanks guys! I'll be paying attention to the knees and back angle.

starting strength coach development program
    Quick follow up.

I took this advice and watched a billion videos. I think I have the squat form a lot better. The knee thing kind clicked once I got the bar lower on my back.

The other advice, SHOES!. HOLY SHIT! I got the Adidas Powerlift 3 in the ugly Solar Red (they were $30 cheaper on Prime Day) but I'm definitely in love a bit. Just a night and day diference between lifting in Vans. My feet felt completely planted the whole time. Keeping my knees in the right place was super easy. As a whole, the lifts just felt easier overall. I'm going to start adding weight again and see how it goes.

Thanks!