starting strength gym

Thread: Posterior Horn Mensicus Tear + Squats

Default Posterior Horn Mensicus Tear + Squats

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip,

Unfortunately (for me), I have a posterior horn meniscus tear. This is recent in the last 6 weeks. One of the main symptoms with this tear is pretty intense pain when the knee is close to fully flexed... such as.. at the bottom of the squat.

I can deadlift and obviously bench and OH press without pain. Full depth squats have been causing some pain and probably not making it any better. My work sets had gotten to 280 x 5 x 3 before I decided to lay off.

Are there any worthy movements for me to consider while I'm laying off that will assist in keeping some of the strength that deadlifts won't cover? This is likely going to require surgery considering some of my job requirements.

Thanks....

What are the details of the tear?

I am interested in this as well. Two weeks ago I injured my knee and MRI confirmed a lateral tear of the posterior horn along with a partial tear of MCL. Also, incidently noted was an old bucket handle tear of the meniscus at the notch. Orthopod told me to keep doing what I was doing but take it easy on SQ at first. He thought surgery would not help but would do it if I wanted it. Well I cut all lower body training last week and was ready to start back again but was playing catch with my kids today and bent down to pick ball up and aggravated it again. Just painful but ROM is good. Am at loss what direction to go. How to rehab, train etc.

You squat and deadlift. No cleans or other explosive stuff for quite a while. SEARCH FUNCTION reveals more.

Well I finally got the final report. Initially, the Doc said "posterior horn meniscus tear". After reviewing the MRI, he had me come back and said that there is NOT a tear... this creates another issue because they really aren't able to tell me why I feel pain in the back of my knee when the leg is fully flexed.

The final report says:
    1) No evidence of meniscal tear
    2) Chondromalacia with minimal cystic and fibrovascular subchondral osseus stress reaction involving the posterosuperior aspect of the lateral femoral condyle
    3) Minimal bone marrow edema involving the lateral aspect of the lateral femoral condyle compatible with mild bone bruise or stress reaction
    4) Small knee joint effusion with very slight extension of fluid into the semimembranosus-gastrocnemius bursa. No measurable Baker's Cyst.

So:
    1) I'm not a medical guy, so I don't really know what the majority of this means and Doc was dead set on saying I have "runner's knee"
    2) Doc says no full squats, "quarter squats" are best
    3) I think I need a new Doc
    4) Do you, Rip, or anyone else have any idea what's causing the pain?

starting strength coach development program
    I am, of course, not a doctor. BUT if this were my knee, I'd just train. Nothing here that won't heal under a training load. And your doctor may be fine as a doctor, but his is, of course, not a barbell coach.