starting strength gym

Thread: incorporating sprints/tweaking program for college baseball

Default incorporating sprints/tweaking program for college baseball

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi, Rip. Thanks for taking the time to look at this. I've looked through the search function and know you are not the sprinting expert so hopefully this isn't redundant.

I just wanted to see if I could throw an idea at you for some feedback.

I am 5'8-5'9 175lbs been doing SS. I need to gain weight.

Squat 5x3x315 (and still goin up)
    Bench 5x3x180
    Press 5x3x135
    Deadlift 5x1x325 (just reset it working back to 360 previous 5x1 pr)
    Power Clean 3x5x195 (working back up to 205 which is previous pr for 3x5)

Everything but the squat is stalling, but that's just because I am not eating enough. I Need to eat more.

Just background info. My actual question/idea is I am going back to college in september and my college baseball is starting again. I am a Center Fielder which requires me to have some decent running speed (decent is sub 7.0s for the 60yd and I am low 7's last time I timed before SS). 60yd is our standard test. I need to improve my speed/conditioning a bit for baseball but as I keep eating and such I have more room to progress on SS. My priority is baseball though so some sprints I would do are...

-60yd sprints (full rest till im ready)
    -10-20yd sprints (shorter rest acceleration work)
    -sprints just around the bases:
    -home to first
    -home to second (which is 60yd it's just not straightline)
    -home to home etc...
    -sprinting along the outfield fence from foul line to foul line and back going for under a minute (grueling conditioning I had to do last season and did not make it in under one minute...rest would probably be how long I took to do it)

I was thinking...
    should I add in days so say lift mon wed fri and sprint tues,thurs?
    should I sprint mon fri and lift mon wed fri with less volume like 3x3 for squat/press/bench/clean?
    should I prematurely jump to an intermediate method and sprint on the intensity day after the lifts?

I like the 2nd idea of sprints mon fri and lift less volume.. sounds like I could still recover from that. I will most likely be doing sport specific practicing tues/thurs/weekend as well which isn't really exhausting/fatiguing. I also realize this is trial and error stuff and see what works. Just checking to see if something jumps out at you and you need to throw up the caution flag.

I know as a novice just getting stronger in the legs/low back will improve running greatly so the sprinting is more for conditioning. I do have our strength/conditioning coach I am going to consult but I wanted to get your opinion as well and anyone elses on this forum. I am a long time lurker read through tons of posts but first time posting.

Thanks for any feedback you can give.

Since you just did a reset on the deadlift and you're squatting over 300 x 5 x 3, and your bodyweight gains are slow (your fault, but anyway) I'd go ahead and shift to an intermediate program. Do a split: squat/pull/sprint on M&Th, and bench/press/chins on T&F. If this doesn't work, try your MWF idea with the sprints on M&F.