starting strength gym

Thread: Two quick questions...

Default Two quick questions...

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Rip,

When should one start microloading on SS? Do you suggest to start after you've stalled once on an exercise? Twice? Or just when the rep speed slows down? The reason I ask is that I've stalled on both the press and bench, but if I keep the weight constant for a session or two I seem to be able to continue progressing.

Also, growing up I've had OSD on both knees. Since I've started squatting, I'm feeling a little soreness on my bone spurs below the knee cap. Not while squatting, but afterwards. Would a patellar strap be useful to prevent the aches and pain, or is this just a RICE and/or anti-inflammatory candidate?

Cheers,

NTF

P.S. I'm 32 now, so OSD should no longer be an issue. I've read that patellar tendonitis is common amongst adults who've had OSD, and a brace may or may not be helpful.

Microload when you see that you will be stuck if you don't rather than waiting to actually get that way. You will be able to tell when this is about to occur, or at least you should be able to. And if there is only a little pain after you train, it is probably something that does not rise to the level of meriting a change in program.