starting strength gym

Thread: Going into a fit after power cleans.

Default Going into a fit after power cleans.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    This is an embarrassing one...

I'm 22 year old Male. I've been doing starting strength for around 7 months, but only added power cleans in the last few weeks. No health complaints at all.

I was doing 75kg power cleans today and felt light headed on a few in the rack position. I didn't think anything of it as I've always felt lightheaded at the top since starting power cleans a few weeks ago, but it's worth noting that today was considerably hotter than when I've tried them in the past.

I was doing them next to a squat rack and thought that on the final rep I'd rack the bar in the squat rack (I won't be doing this again.) In my light headed state, I was having trouble getting the bar into the rack so my training partner came over and helped me get it in place.

The next thing i know, i'm on the floor, my body went in to a spasm for 30 seconds or so, which has never happened before inside or outside of the gym. I have a mark on my temple where my head has hit something, I can't recall if this happened before or I started spasming. I've never gone into a fit or anything similar in the past.

Is this something I can put down to "drink more water when you work out in a hot gym" or should I be consulting my doctor. I did drink around 500ml during the workout but maybe that's not enough.

Is it common to feel light headed with power cleans?

On a good note I did make all 5x3 power cleans so can't complain too much.

Just seen this has been put in repetitive inquiries.

Is it safe to assume that the fit that I went into wasn't directly linked to the power cleans/light head, and it was the bump to my head that caused me to have a fit?

Vasovagal syncope?

Try this google search string: site=startingstrength.com clean faint

Just don't hold the rack position for so long. The bar being on your carotid arteries for an extended time is what causes fainting.

Thanks for the replies. It does seem to be a mixture of holding it in the rack too long and breathing in too much at the bottom.

I have some confidence back for Friday when I do them again.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by StartingAdam View Post
    Is it safe to assume that the fit that I went into wasn't directly linked to the power cleans/light head, and it was the bump to my head that caused me to have a fit?
    No. "Fits" when losing consciousness are normal for many people.

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=28886

Next time, just take a quick seat or knee when you feel the lightheadedness and tunnel vision starting. You don't want to fall down in the gym. Too many hard, edged surfaces that could cause injury, especially to the head.