starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding my Squat - Fixing The Back Angle (Commentary Inside)

Exclamation Rebuilding my Squat - Fixing The Back Angle (Commentary Inside)

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi guys,

I recently posted this in the Technique forum, but the coach that was helping me has been busy as of late, so I was hoping you guys could help me get squatting again.

This was how I was squatting initially:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0jn8...ature=youtu.be

To which I got this feedback:
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    There's quite a bit wrong here. If you live in a city with a coach nearby, lay out the cash for some private squat sessions. It's nearly impossible to unfuck an asymmetry on video. If that's impossible:

- get your legs measured. If one's short, shim it....if it's some crazy muscular imbalance, you may be able to squat your way out of the imbalance (I did).

- your lumbar spine is terribly over-extended. You're fighting like hell to high bar squat with low bar mechanics. Post a video or photo of yourself replicating the pose from figure 2-13 in Starting Strength. Post this with a second video of a squat set filmed side-on.
    Here's my reply:

Did you mean this (2-11)? Or 2-13, the one with the rope? I assumed you meant 2-11 and took a picture replicating that pose.

Picture replicating 2-11 here
    Video trying 135lbsx5 with back angle in mind here (skip to 0:30)

Another possible minor thing is I've been looking down at my feet, not at the ground ahead of me.

I felt like I was doing better for a couple of those reps, some felt like I was doing it how I've normally done. I'm curious if there's any noticeable improvement at all.

===============

Really appreciate any and all feedback. I've stopped squatting until I get this fixed, as I don't want to instill bad habits any further.

Which video do you want input on? Why are you squatting in bare feet?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Which video do you want input on? Why are you squatting in bare feet?
    The second video, please. I added the first to show how I started.

Why are you squatting in bare feet?
    I haven't read anything proving it's a serious risk. Am I wrong?

There are many ways for me to respond here. Firstly, how can you get better at squatting if you stop squatting? Secondly, you need to read the sticky on how to film form check videos. Light weights are not useful for form checks. Work set weights are. Thirdly, you need to do a Google search on this site for weightlifting shoes. Oh, shit. I did it for you:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tom+...ngstrength.com

Yes, get some. End of story. Thirdly you are going too deep in your squat.

I appreciate anyone taking the time to help, but you're not really helping me at all. I can accept the condescending tone because you are the expert, and I'm the beginner, but if you're not going to give me advice I can actually take action on to improve my squat then I don't see why you waste both of our time.

Firstly, how can you get better at squatting if you stop squatting?
    That's one side of it, which I totally appreciate and understand, but I also don't want continue ingraining the wrong technique further to the point where it is more difficult to re-learn properly.

Secondly, you need to read the sticky on how to film form check videos. Light weights are not useful for form checks. Work set weights are.
    I read it. I lowered the weight as recommended by others who saw my first form video and told me it's not safe for me to continue that way, which is why I'm hesitant to continue squatting before showing signs of improvement to someone who knows better than I do.

Thirdly, you need to do a Google search on this site for weightlifting shoes. Oh, shit. I did it for you:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=tom+...ngstrength.com
    Yes, get some. End of story.
    There seems to be a lot of talk from both sides of the 'is bare feet acceptable' discussion when I looked it up. I'll look into getting weightlifting shoes.

Thirdly you are going too deep in your squat.
    Oh? If it's not apparent, I don't have the expertise to take this "advice" and implement it. In my ignorant opinion, I think there's more problem then going too deep. I don't feel the "bounce" everyone talks about and I'm clearly leaning to the left in my first video. In my other thread John had pointed out issues with my back angle, do you think it's fine? What steps can I take to fix my form?

Again, I really do appreciate constructive criticism. Rip me apart and be as condescending as you want if you're going to give me actionable advice. Otherwise, you're not benefiting anyone other than the post counter to the right of your name.

I am going to do my best to avoid being impatient with you, but I am probably going to fail. You provided a cut and pasted, confusing post with multiple shitty videos and photos that are of little use in diagnosing your issues. You have not read the stickies about how to film sets. Because of this, there is a limited amount I can say about your squat. However, your depth is a problem and a relatively significant one. The reason you feel no bounce is because you relax and go too deep. You apparently have not read Starting Strength. If you did, you would have a good understanding of why three or four inches below parallel is problematic. You apparently refuse to do the most basic of reading about this topic and yet have the balls to demand "actionable advice" from me. I am not paid anything to respond here. I do so out of my respect for Rip and my desire to provide something of value to the community that orbits this website.

Here's some fucking actionable advice:

Stop typing and buy the book. Read it.
    Read the advice on this website. Yes, there is a lot of it and it is scattered throughout multiple threads. Use Google to help you.
    Don't go so deep in the squat.
    Don't relax at the bottom and allow your right knee to cave in.
    Lose the feeling of entitlement you seem to posses. I am not here to serve you.

Smile

Entitlement is the complete opposite of the way I view free resources that give me the opportunity to connect with experts. I completely understand the frustration of trying to deal with ignorant people asking incomplete questions that you don't have the privilege of evaluating to an entirely accurate degree.

I also understand I am one of "those people" on this forum. I may be ignorant about kinesiology, but I'm not oblivious to my own lack of competence in this matter. This is something I try to make clear in an effort to unarm condescending tones, like smiling at the librarian who's tired of the human race.

Honestly, your initial post could have said "lol, just squat" and have the same benefit to me (none). I just hope you understand that acting in such a way, one that is not beneficial to the beginner in need of help/the forum/Rip/anyone, and you don't waste your time in the future providing such inapplicable advice. I mean really, I could reply to these threads all day in that manner and I'm ________ (I'll let you finish that sentence for your own pleasure!).

That said...

Your third post, the most recent, is actually much better. Maybe you just needed to vent?

Only one issue with it:

Don't relax at the bottom and allow your right knee to cave in.
    Complete noobs like me can't decipher this into an actual action. Don't relax at the bottom is informing me of a problem I didn't know I had, so how would I know how to fix it? Simply adding a one-liner explaining the basic steps of how to apply the advice can ACTUALLY BENEFIT the people you are instructing.

Anyways, this is my cue to leave. I hope I've provided the entertainment for the day. I am going to go through my notes along with the book once more time, so I guess your advice wasn't a complete waste of time to read.

I want to thank all the members and coaches on the forum that have helped me in the past. I also want to thank you, Mr. Campitelli. I'm not mad at you. I don't get mad very often. I don't know why I'm thanking you, but I hope my post makes you smile in confusion if nothing else

*leaves forum *

I may be speaking out of place here, yet in my humble/irrelevant opinion, if Mr. 1P put as much effort into squatting as he did in creating those masterful babbling diatribes I suspect he may be a little further along in his development.

Thumbs up

Hey Tom. You're awesome. That is all.

Please accept this very relevant piece of internet art as a token of gratitude for putting up with us.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

starting strength coach development program
    What about "don't relax at the bottom" and "don't let your right knee cave" is unclear?

Taking the latter first, if your right knee caves, then the common sense antidote is to shove it out. If you can't decipher what to do with "knees out," there isn't much anyone can do for you.

As to the former, let me put it into more context: instead of relaxing in the bottom, tighten up your abs and keep your lower back in extension. Has that provided any further illumination? I can't imagine so--because the next logical question is "how do I do that?" And I confess I'm not a good enough coach to tell you how to tighten your abs or your lower back muscles on an internet page if you can't figure out how to do it on your own. The best I can do is refer you to Rip's video on lower back control in the Resources section (which you would have known about with a basic search of the forum), and suggest you get an in-person coach if this isn't clear.

But going back to basics...all of this is covered in the book. So it may benefit you to, you know, read it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast