starting strength gym

Thread: Awkward transition to the texas method

Default Awkward transition to the texas method

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm transitioning to intermediate programming from starting strength quite soon and I've been reading through PPST3 and I've put together what I think would work for my current circumstances which I'll list:

1. I plan on cutting 10lbs or so of bodyweight.

2. My deadlift is lagging far behind due to form issues so I've been slowly increasing it linearly on the SS model and would preferably like to continue to do this since I'm not working it anywhere near full maximum effort just yet.

3. I'm a healthy 19 year old 205 lb 5' 11" male who sleeps at least 8 hours a day and keeps a strict diet with all considerations for recovery optimized.

So I'm using a Powerlifting TM layout and this is what I put together:

(keep in mind I'll be on a slow cut of about 0.5-1b a week and deadlifts are not near max effort as mentioned).

Monday(Volume):
    Squat: 3x5
    Bench press: 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5/Powerclean 4x2

Wednesday(light):
    Light Squat: 2x5
    Press: 3x5

Friday (Intensity):
    Squat: 1x3
    Paused Bench: 1x3

I'll switch between deadlift and powerclean with linear increase and when it gets heavy I'll switch to RDLs on monday, light powercleans wednesday, and heavy deadlifts on friday.

What are your thoughts? Do you approve or will I burn out on this?
    Thanks.

It's fine. Be prepared for triples to only last about 2-4 weeks before they turn to doubles. At that point, start a rotation of some sort

So will I have to use the same weight for squat and bench on intensity day since I'm cutting or can I increase the weight? Say 400lbs 1x3 one week then you're saying I'll have to go to 400lbs 1x2 since I'll theoretically lose strength on the cut? 400 lbs 1x3 every week until I can only do it for 1x2. Then I do 5 singles with 400 lbs. Then what?

Add weight when you can. I can't do your programming for you while you are on a cut in this context. It's too individualized and detailed to be done on a forum.

Gotcha. I just didn't know if there were a set of rules that generally applied to this. I guess I'll just have to feel it out. Thanks alot.