starting strength gym

Thread: Be alive. Be very alive.

Default Be Alive. Be Very Alive.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Rip,

I just wanted to say thank you for writing this article. Whenever I'm feeling unmotivated or shitty about myself I'll read it to help get my head back on straight. I think these two quotes really sum everything up, and anyone feeling unmotivated and shitty really needs to think about them:

...you owe it to yourself and the millions of lives that generated yours to live as though you appreciated it.
    Intentionally placing yourself in the position of having to complete a task when you don't know if you can is the single best way of preparing to be in that position unintentionally. And that, my friends, is the way your training should be approached, so that you get more out of it than just 'wellness'.
    I don't really have much else to say here. Just thanks for saying that.

Thanks for the kind words.

Indeed, one of my favorites. The number of quotes alone in that essay is just awesome.

howard

Rip, I've actually used your books in my college classes in various literary discussions. Have you have walked into a literature class in a liberal arts college and told them "physical strength is the most important thing in the world?"

It is fun. I suggest everyone try it.

My weightlifting coach in HS told us day 1 that weightlifting was the only course in HS that you could not cheat and get away with in the long run.

I also found this article, together with "Conventional Wisdom" and "Silly Bullshit" as a milestone.
    thanks for writing them Coach, those are epic.

Default Be alive. Be very alive.

Conversation between me and a friend of mine who i turned on to Starting Strength a couple days ago:

Slim: i was about to take the night off
    Me: ?
    Slim: but rippetoe motivated me
    Me: yeah man hes awesome
    Slim: im gonna suck it up and go
    Me: thats the rippetoe way
    Slim: i drank a gallon of milk today
    Slim: im gonna try deadlifts today

Just a year ago we were both doing the typical tricep kickback, bicep curl, pec deck garbage workouts that every stupid men's muscle magazine pushes, so this is a big time change....i really wish i would have known about starting strength 7 or 8 years ago. anyway, no real point to the thread, but thanks rip.

Quote Originally Posted by XTrainer View Post
    Have you have walked into a literature class in a liberal arts college and told them "physical strength is the most important thing in the world?"

It is fun. I suggest everyone try it.
    Tell me more.

I wanna hear about this.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrainer View Post
    Rip, I've actually used your books in my college classes in various literary discussions.
    Haha, I've used them in my statistics and epidemiology courses as well. There is nothing to spice up a lecture on multiple linear regression like a 5-minute random rant about squat form.