starting strength gym

Thread: Bruising from cleans

Default Bruising from cleans

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    When power cleans start to get on the heavy side, is it common to get bruises around the mid thigh? I am wondering if I am having too much contact with the bar and "bouncing" too much.

Thanks,
    Ben

You might be. And that would actually slow down the top pull due to the drag. Think of "brushing" your thighs hard, instead of bouncing the bar off them.

I tend to get these from going from the front rack to the hang position when trying to lower the bar back to the ground without dropping it.

But I go to a shitty gym and haven't spent the money on a good, droppable (B&R) bar and set of bumpers.

Good point, Justin. Ben, are you catching the bar on the way down? That may be when the bruising occurs.

Yeah, I usually catch the bar on my thighs but I have also been bouncing the weight more off of my legs as it gets heavy. I also know that I'm not finishing the pull all the time either. It might be a combination of both. I've been working on brushing the thighs higher up and it has been making the bar path feel more efficient, though. When the bruises disappear I'll see what was really causing it. Thanks!