starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Go up or stay here

Default Go up or stay here

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    The one lift I could always count on was the deadlift.
    I hadn't stalled on bench but I am regaining strength I had lost during rehab of an injury.
    I stalled on presses and had to reset once and am still working back up.
    For squats, I stalled due to injury, which I am now working my way back up again.

I never stalled on deadlift until last night. I'm currently on doing a version of the advanced novice program that meets my recovery needs where I'm deadlifting every Wednesday night with 10 lb jumps. I started the program at 385X5 on deadlift and had progressed all the way up to 465X5 last week.

Tuesday night I had a horrendous night and couldn't sleep well and Wednesday was a long hard day at work. My energy levels were very low coming into the Wednesday night workout.

I ended up with 475X4. The fifth wouldn't budge. I was too tired and demotivated. I literally didn't have the ability to dig any deeper.

Had I slept better the night before I am absolutely positive I would have gotten that 5th rep.

So, do I go up to 480 next time or try 475 again?

Thanks,
    Dwayne

Repeat 475 to make sure it wasn't a fluke. If you get it no problem, continue your progression.

Though I don't deal with weights quite that high yet, when I miss a rep, I figure I missed the lift completely. Sure gains will be made from the reps you did get and it is very tempting to excuse the last missed one away, but I think you will feel better about the progression when you repeat and complete all reps before moving on.
    I'm doing this on my bench come Saturday where I missed the very last rep on my last work set on Monday because, I feel, I took a bit of a breath and lost tension between the fourth and fifth rep. The bar came down and went back up just fine for about three inches, then it just stopped. Now maybe I would have missed it anyhow, but for a moment I tried to logic the miss with the extra breath taken. No matter, I'm repeating on Saturday before I move on. Just my thoughts.

tim

i say go up. if you think you would have gotten it had you slept and not been exceedingly tired, go to 480. if you miss at 480, then repeat 480.

Stay at it and hit it again. At this point, you don't need to be greedy for gains. If you miss it again, reset it. If not, continue your progression. Nice lift, btw.

Getting strong is a marathon not a sprint. There is nothing wrong with repeating for another week to be sure of yourself before moving up again. I promise the one week extra won't kill you.

Also, if you repeat and get 5 reps you've in essence gotten stronger so you can still look at is as a gain.

Quote Originally Posted by dwayne View Post
    ...but you didn't make all the reps. So you need to make all 5 at the same weight to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by dwayne View Post
    The one lift I could always count on was the deadlift.
    I hadn't stalled on bench but I am regaining strength I had lost during rehab of an injury.
    I stalled on presses and had to reset once and am still working back up.
    For squats, I stalled due to injury, which I am now working my way back up again.

I never stalled on deadlift until last night. I'm currently on doing a version of the advanced novice program that meets my recovery needs where I'm deadlifting every Wednesday night with 10 lb jumps. I started the program at 385X5 on deadlift and had progressed all the way up to 465X5 last week.

Tuesday night I had a horrendous night and couldn't sleep well and Wednesday was a long hard day at work. My energy levels were very low coming into the Wednesday night workout.

I ended up with 475X4. The fifth wouldn't budge. I was too tired and demotivated. I literally didn't have the ability to dig any deeper.

Had I slept better the night before I am absolutely positive I would have gotten that 5th rep.

Thanks,
    Dwayne
    I'd try 480, well rested, because you make it sound like it was a miss because of poor recovery between sessions.

starting strength coach development program
    All of the things that Force highlighted above are early signs of overtraining not just being tired. The last thing that you want to do is regress. I say stay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast