starting strength gym

Thread: Adding assistance exercises

Default Adding assistance exercises

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    58 year old trainee who has been at it for almost 40 years. Two months ago changed up everything after reading Starting Strength. Did the novice program for two and a half months and going to switch to the Texas Method. Plan to add chins, curls, and tricep pushdowns as asistance exercises once per week. At my age does it make more sense to these exercises after the one set rm per exercise day or adding a fourth day of training per week for assistance exercises only which would reduce rest time?
    Thank you for your time.

Don't add another training day. Do them on Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Don't add another training day. Do them on Wednesday.
    Thanks for the quick response. Just to be sure, instead of my ideas of assistance work following the one set rm day, you are suggesting to do them after the more abbreviated (2 sets at 80-90% per exercise) day #2 workout of the week. Thanks again.

Yes. Just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylib View Post
    Thanks for the quick response. Just to be sure, instead of my ideas of assistance work following the one set rm day, you are suggesting to do them after the more abbreviated (2 sets at 80-90% per exercise) day #2 workout of the week. Thanks again.
    I've done TM for 19 weeks, from my own humble experience:
    I would strongly recommend on doing dips which would carryover brilliantly to your lifts than the pushdowns.

I personally do them on my heavy day, usually do 4 sets of max reps right after the deadlift, they take 12 minutes or so.

If you do them on the light day, be careful not to go all out or you'll burn yourself for the heavy day(been there done that)