starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Searing Knee Pain

Default Searing Knee Pain

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Mark-

I'm struggling with some annoying knee pain, and I'm hoping you can provide some advice. About a month ago I was climbing into bed and my right knee brushed the matress, causing an exquisite burning sensation, not unlike a rugburn. I didn't think much of it, but it's gotten progressively worse to the point that my pants leg can trigger the burning pain if the fabric is pulled too tight. Flip side, it's a good excuse to use with my girlfriend for more variety in the bedroom.

The pain manifests itself mostly when my knee is flexed more than 90 degrees. Applying pressure on the inner-lower quadrant of my kneecap (at the medial edge of the patellar tendon) really sets it off. Pressure from the other quadrants does nothing. Possibly related, I've had a sore/tender spot below the head of my fibula that doesn't want to go away.

Oddly enough, my squats are unaffected and without pain. For giggles, I took a week off, but if anything, the pain has worsened.

It sounds like chondromalacia, but I don't run/jump much and don't recall any traumatic events that could have caused the sudden onset of the pain.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Laramie

Sex: Male
    Training: 3x per week - advanced

Is the pain perceived in the skin?

For the most part, yes, in the skin or just below. My first thought was a damaged nerve, but I couldn't tell you what nerves run through that area..

But it doesn't hurt to squat? Just skin pain and irritation? Then who gives a shit what causes it? Just train.

I anticipated that response, so I probably didn't make myself clear; It's so painful that I can't even kneel down on that knee to tie my shoe. I have and will continue to train. I was just hoping (probably naively) that you'd have some handy explanation, mechanical or otherwise, that might allow me to hasten my recovery. With any luck, the affected tissues will heal on their own without any change in program or technique. I'm hoping to make it to the SS seminar in New York this September. If it's still bothering me, I'll bitch and moan about it more then. Thanks.

My medical practice is limited to very easy shit.

Leprosy.

Quote Originally Posted by ForbiddenDonut View Post
    Leprosy.
    Squats. Also works for cancer and vegans.

Quote Originally Posted by OCG View Post
    Squats. Also works for cancer and vegans.
    Only if they stop being vegans.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MongoloidMormon View Post
    For the most part, yes, in the skin or just below. My first thought was a damaged nerve, but I couldn't tell you what nerves run through that area..
    Infrapatellar branch of saphenous nerve (terminal branch of femoral nerve-sensory only) pierces the distal aspect of the vagus medialis, which some refer to as the vmo. It is possible their is an injury in the fascia/epimysium/ knee capsule or other soft tissue that this nerve branch courses through.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast