starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: programming bench

Default programming bench

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Basically I can't progress on 1.25kg jumps either (when alternating press and bench) because i'll miss a rep or two, and the next workout i'll add weight and miss even more reps. So i'm stuck on this ceiling of about 80kg.

So i'm thinking of trying intermediate programming. Now do i still need to microload on itensity day, or shall I aim to take bigger jumps (2.5kg)?

#1: Squat, Medium Bench (3-5 sets of 5), Chins
    #2: Squat, light bench, assistance (medium press), DL, chins
    #3: Squat, heavy bench (3x3), chins

so basically, shall i aim for 2.5kg jumps on #3? and if i dont stall, then i'll improve my 3x3 by 10kg a month.

The other alternative is to stick with novice programming but repeat the workset if i didn't get 3x5. But if I do that while microloading i'll expect to get about 2.5kg/week progress, so 10kg/month too on my 5 rep bench. I also don't think this will work very well for me, but welcome any arguments in favour of this approach.

I may just go with option #3. Bench thrice, microloading by 1.25kg and only going up the weight when I get 3x5 without excessively grindy or cheaty reps.

This means I have to think about how to program presses as an assistance. I'm thinking keep the weight in the range where I can get 3x5 smoothly with a few reps spare on each set.

Proposed program

#1: Squat, Bench
    #2: Squat, Bench, DL
    #3: Squat, Bench

Assistance exercise are chins and abwheel done every workout. Not sure how to fit in presses as an assistance.

i nominate volume and frequency. how does smolov jr sound?

I've done smolov jnr on bench before, body responded really well to it. Trouble is those gains did not really stick around once i went back to sets of 5 ala SS. I get the feeling smolov jnr is more useful for a competitive lifter peaking before a meet or something. I would do it again to get unstuck past a milestone like 100kg.

Why not just go

Mon: bench
    Wed: press
    Fri: bench
    (all other exercises not included b/c those aren't in question)

This would allow you to still hit bench twice a week, and you are getting that weekend rest period between your two bench workouts.

Because that's not enough volume for progress. In the end i decided upon:

#1: Squat, Bench (3x5/5x3), Chins
    #2: Squat, Bench(5x3/3x5), DL, Chins
    #3: Squat, Bench (3x5/5x3), Chins

I'll add weight on the 5x3 workouts, and add reps on the 3x5 workouts. Hopefully this will allow me to train the bench productively without stalling. So far so good.

I still haven't figured out how to program presses. But i think i'll pick a weight like 60kg and just make up 10 reps of that, so maybe 5 sets of 2, working up to sets of 5 eventually, and maintain that. Thoughts?

man, just what the what

starting strength coach development program
    Well that was helpful.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast