starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5/3/1 Programming

Default 5/3/1 Programming

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I am just starting the 3rd wave of the 3-day-per-week 5/3/1 program. I am finding the calculated weights to be too light. I can sometimes get more than double the number of reps required on the last heavy set. I based my program on a pretty good estimate of my 1RMs. My thought is to test the 1RM at the end of this cycle and remove the .90 multiplier on the 1RM for the next cycle. Treat the remainder of this cycle as a recovery period.

Any thoughts or recommends on how to proceed?

I coming to 5/3/1 from the Texas method, and after 2 1/2 weeks of 5/3/1 I am feeling much less inflamation (arthritus is a big deal for me). This is encouraging and good reason to stick with the plan if it allows me to maintain my strength. I suspect my 1RMs are also coming down. Will find out when I test at the end of this cycle.

Any other thoughts on how to proceed for the next cycle?

Continue with the program. Do not reset by removing the .9 multiplier. If you read any of the forums on elitefts.com where Wendler posts, he has got this question about a billion times. Continue with the plan and be awesome.

I just re-read your post. Have you been only doing 5/3/1 for 2.5 weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
    I can sometimes get more than double the number of reps required on the last heavy set.
    It is meant to work out this way. Buy the book.

I think I got 20 reps my first deadlift day. Don't sweat it; stay the course. This is meant to be progress over the course of many months/years, not in a matter of weeks.

I think you should go with your initial plan if you want to get stronger now. If you want to screw around for awhile now and get stronger later, stay the course. Also, the book is pretty thin and doesn't contain anything all that revelatory, but YMMV.

While I'm not 100%, I think part of the reason 5/3/1 has worked so well for me, is that after doing sets of 5 since I started training I was not as well adapted to higher rep work (10-12 reps). So it was like beginner gains all over again and I got stronger fairly fast. YMMV but I've put 50 pounds on my squat and 60ish on my dead in a little under three months on 5/3/1 working in the rep ranges you describe. I dont see a reason to do more then 12-13 on your 5x3 days though.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggmatt View Post
    Continue with the program. Do not reset by removing the .9 multiplier. If you read any of the forums on elitefts.com where Wendler posts, he has got this question about a billion times. Continue with the plan and be awesome.

I just re-read your post. Have you been only doing 5/3/1 for 2.5 weeks?
    Yes, I know it is not enough time to draw any conclusions. Just registering my first impressions. I have not read the elitefts.com stuff. Will check it out!

I highly recommend it! Enjoy your training. Are you running hills/pushing prowler as well?

Quote Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
    Yes, I know it is not enough time to draw any conclusions. Just registering my first impressions. I have not read the elitefts.com stuff. Will check it out!

Hill Sprints are the devil.

starting strength coach development program
    One thing you can try is autoregulation(credit to Shaf on Power and Bulk for the idea):

In the 3x5 Week, for every rep over 5 on the last set add 2.5 lbs to your training max.
    In the 3x3 Week, for every rep over 3 on the last set add 5 lbs to your training max.
    In the 5/3/1 Week, for every rep over 1 on the last set add 10 lbs to your training max.

Make sure you deload every 4th week with this method.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast