starting strength gym

Thread: Sandbag shoulder toss for conditioning?

Default Sandbag shoulder toss for conditioning?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I like these more fun than HIIT on an air bike. Thoughts?

"Like" is a funny word ... I've done conditioning work with sandbags. I've got a duffle-sized bag filled to 95lbs right now, and I have done Turkish get-ups with it, AMRAP style. Conditioning-wise it's done me well, in that it allows me to spike my heart rate to 170+ while moving my whole body. Utility-wise it is pretty "sport specific" since it's the same approximate motion I'd need to do to shoulder up an ammo box from supine foxhole defillade, if I was still a machine-gunner. So in that respect it commits the D1 fallacy, in that it is really practice rather than training ... but for *conditioning* it's great...

...but I wouldn't say I "like" it?

If conditioning is the goal, it seems to me the chief concern is compliance and consistency, though I admit I'm not all the way read-up on why SS likes the prowler so much.

I'd love to do prowler, but the problem is I lift out of my garage and there isn't space to do them in. I do have an assault air bike, but it get monotonous after a while, figured sandbags would add a bit of variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff View Post
    I admit I'm not all the way read-up on why SS likes the prowler so much.
    We like the prowler because it is incrementally loadable, and it lacks an eccentric component so you don't get sore.