starting strength gym

Thread: Alternating deadlift and powercleans

Default Alternating deadlift and powercleans

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    How should i do the alternating between powecleans and deadlift? My deadlift is 117.5 kg so should i deadlift once and powerclean ones when workout a is done or should i doing only deadlift until the weight gets heavier? I am holding my squats in the same weight until DL will go a little bit up.

You can start alternating them now. And don't hold your squat waiting for your DL to go up. There's nothing magical about the ratios, and they'll even out to where they should be over time if you clean up your form and just let them.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    You can start alternating them now. And don't hold your squat waiting for your DL to go up. There's nothing magical about the ratios, and they'll even out to where they should be over time if you clean up your form and just let them.
    So if i need to alternate how i am doing the alternates? One week it will be deadlift in workout a and one week it will be powerclean? And coach Santana adviced to hold the squats to close the DL/Squat gap.

You literally just alternate them: one workout deadlift, the next power clean, then deadlift, then power clean etc... I recommend reading the book.

Can you link me where this holding the squat advice was given?

You literally just alternate them: one workout deadlift, the next power clean, then deadlift, then power clean etc... I recommend reading the book.

Can you link me where this holding the squat advice was given?
    Starting to stress about fat gain

I asked him how can i make a little bit bigger gap between the two exersices, cause i am current at the army and the gym was closed several times( stupid reasons) so i missed a couple of workouts.

I read the blue book, but if the workouts look like this:
    b
    Squat
    Bench press
    Chinups
    a
    Squat
    Press
    Deadlift

b
    Squat
    Bench press
    Chinups

Week 2:
    a
    Squat
    Press
    Powerclean

b
    Squat
    Bench press
    chinups

a
    Squat
    Press
    Deadlift

Just do the workouts as followed?

Ok, just read this: Starting Strength Training Programs

You go from deadlifting every workout to alternating the DL and clean, from Phase 1 to Phase 2. It's that simple.

Regarding the advice to hold the squat, someone commented in that thread that it seemed new. I agree with the poster, that isn't and hasn't been the general standard recommended advice around here unless there is a very specific issue. That doesn't mean it's wrong, but it would represent a change in the general approach. If your DL is actually pretty far away from it's current potential, I don't think doing 3 sets of squats first, even hard ones, would prevent you from getting your DL. If your DL is close to it's current potential, then there's no reason to hold the squat and wait for the DL to come up. So I think you just keep going up in both and it'll more or less even out before long. Santana has a different perspective. That's fine.

Ok, just read this: Starting Strength Training Programs

You go from deadlifting every workout to alternating the DL and clean, from Phase 1 to Phase 2. It's that simple.

Regarding the advice to hold the squat, someone commented in that thread that it seemed new. I agree with the poster, that isn't and hasn't been the general standard recommended advice around here unless there is a very specific issue. That doesn't mean it's wrong, but it would represent a change in the general approach. If your DL is actually pretty far away from it's current potential, I don't think doing 3 sets of squats first, even hard ones, would prevent you from getting your DL. If your DL is close to it's current potential, then there's no reason to hold the squat and wait for the DL to come up. So I think you just keep going up in both and it'll more or less even out before long. Santana has a different perspective. That's fine.
    Ok, thanks.
    I see now why the gap so close between squat and deadlift. i am doing phase 3 whem i should do 2.

It seems clear that you're pretty unfamiliar with the program you're trying to do. The reason this is laid out in so many places for you is so that we don't have to answer these questions over and over again, when they're already answered. Your critical thinking skills are fine, you figured out the answer on your own pretty quickly. What you were missing was information - but that info is found in the books and in free articles like that one I linked. Please familiarize yourself with this basic literature before asking questions that assume you already know it and are struggling with understanding or implementing it.

It seems clear that you're pretty unfamiliar with the program you're trying to do. The reason this is laid out in so many places for you is so that we don't have to answer these questions over and over again, when they're already answered. Your critical thinking skills are fine, you figured out the answer on your own pretty quickly. What you were missing was information - but that info is found in the books and in free articles like that one I linked. Please familiarize yourself with this basic literature before asking questions that assume you already know it and are struggling with understanding or implementing it.
    I have both the books SSBBT3 and practical programming for strength training 3rd. I read the blue twice, and PPST3 I didnt finished yet. I misunderstood the phases thing so thanks for your help directing me the right way.

starting strength coach development program
    OK, glad we clarified it.