starting strength gym

Thread: After the Meet

Default After the Meet

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Did my last pre-USSF Nats heavy work today. Next week it's openers on Monday, and some light doubles on Wednesday, then lots of food, and sleep, a plane, a car, more sleep, and then hopefully 9 for 9 and 3 PRs. And I look forward to giving a thankee-kindly and a handshake to one Michael Wolf, SSC.

But here I sit, all the work behind me, as strong as I could get myself with Nikki Burman's help and personal determination ... it's all in the bag now, and will go well or poorly at WFAC as time, chance, and Adonai decree ... and I'm wondering what the hell Monday, January 21, 2019 looks like.

1) I've just run out a 4day TM to heavy singles in prep for this meet; it's my very first intermediate runout. I've probably got at least one more, and possibly two more runouts in my tank on 4day TM. Just stay the course?

2) I've heard and read really neat stuff about 8/5/2 type work, Baker and otherwise. Sounds super-intriguing, and the novelty-monkey is whispering my name as it croons softly in my ear (What, you don't have a novelty-monkey?). Try the shiny new thing?

3) ???????

4) Profit

The overarching goal remains: Realize whatever inborn, God-given strength potential remains in me to be realized at my late-starting age, which militates for path 1.

But a) I've been diligently doing the 4 big lifts and very nearly nothing else ever for 7 months now, so there is some mental staleness to press-squat-pull-bench right now. And b) My Army life would be easier come 13 April (next weigh-in date) if I did some dedicated waist-cutting, which if I understand Santana, Rippetoe, et. al., sounds like some strength loss no matter how smart I play it, so those might militate in favor of path 2.

I know you're a barbell coach, not a life-coach, and the call's mine to make. But what additional information or variables should I consider in my decision process here?

Thanks!

Geoff, I highly recommend training for an IronMan Triathlon after the meet. It'll be just what the doctor ordered after today's work. You'll thank me later.

Yours in strength, endurance, and sarcasm.

Wolf

Perfect. I'm thinking lots of quarter squats to help the explosive push-off on the bike and run. For the swim, the program will consist entirely of high rep lat pulldowns.

You're tops, coach. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff View Post
    Perfect. I'm thinking lots of quarter squats to help the explosive push-off on the bike and run.
    Definitely. Don't forget to put 5 lb plates under the heels of your running shoes, which you'll be wearing for specificity to increase carry-over from the quarter squats to the run.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff View Post
    For the swim, the program will consist entirely of high rep lat pulldowns.
    Straight arm pulldowns with bands are way more sport-specific, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff
    You're tops, coach.
    I know, I really am!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff
    Thanks!