starting strength gym

Thread: GGW Results and Moving Forward

Default GGW Results and Moving Forward

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So I just finished Andy Baker's GGW yesterday. Even though Andy advises against it I decided to test my maxes all in one day for several reasons: my original maxes were tested this way, I'm studying for midterms in grad school, and I wanted to take the rest of the week off from lifting so I can get back to it next week. Overall I'm happy with the progress I've made as I haven't been taking recovery super serious and I improved all my lifts even the press which I trained only once a week for the majority of the program. Here's my results with videos of my new maxes:

Squat: 385 -> 405 (very proud of hitting this one) YouTube
    Bench: 282 TnG -> 280 Paused YouTube
    Deadlift: 385 -> 405 YouTube
    420 deadlift fail as a bonus -> YouTube
    Press: 171.5 -> 175 YouTube

Moving forward I really want to improve my deadlift as much as possible since I can squat as much as I deadlift. I'm planning on competing in my first powerlifting meet October 5th and want to make the 93 kg class which means I have about 15-20 lbs to lose if I want to have some wiggle room going into the meet (I currently weigh ~215 lbs). I'm wondering if anyone has a good suggestion programming wise to tackle my goal of improving my deadlift and at least maintaining my squat and bench press while I lose the weight. I was also thinking some more frequent exposure to heavy singles, doubles, and triples could be beneficial for my powerlifting goals so maybe a heavy light medium with top sets in the 1-3 rep range with back offs in the 4-6 range for heavy day movements could work. Andy's 6 week deadlift template interests me too for dealing with my crappy deadlift. Thoughts?

Nice job! Your squat is super deep like your almost bottoming out and losing tension in your hamstrings. Bench had another 5-10lbs in it. DL form looks good and no idea why it's not higher. My deadlift moves better training only 1 day a week with 1 heavy set and 1 backoff set but everyone responds differently at this stage. You'd most likely hit a higher DL testing on another day.

Yeah I did pause squats on light day for most of GGW but I'm thinking of increasing the offset another 5% and holding the pause for a 2 count because I think i do have a tendency to lose a little tightness in the hole. As far as deadlifts go do you think it's possible I just never exhausted my linear gains completely? I was thinking of maybe running GGW again because it worked well for squat and bench but doing a somewhat linear progression with deadlifts. Something like this:
    A = deadlift 1x5/1x3 w/ 1 back off set at 5-10% difference
    B = chins 3xAMRAP
    I'd start at about 80% for 1x5 and 85% for 1x3, alternate between the two rep ranges every A workout, and add 5 pounds every time. Hopefully that made sense. Do you think that could work?

I don't know your situation exactly, but in general - yes, it's quite common to have 1-2 lifts in a more intermediate progression and another lift still progressing linearly like a novice.

Do you think a progression like I listed above for deadlift is worth trying while I use your GGW program for squats and presses? Once I lose the weight I'm looking forward to running the KSC Texas Method for a while to get more practice with heavier weights.