starting strength gym

Thread: Time Limitations

Default Time Limitations

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    I am currently running the standard 4 day split texas method. I am failing on both press and bench on intensity days.

I am assuming I need to add an accessory or supplemental lift. Problem is, I have an hour available in the mornings and that is the largest open time slot I have available to lift.

My real question is, would breaking up my workouts into AM/lunch sessions, as shown below, be effective? Or does the 5 hour break in between AM and Lunch sessions reduce the effectiveness of the overload event?

Monday
    AM- Press Intensity/Bench Volume
    Lunch break- Dips/Chins (or other accessory lifts)

Tuesday
    AM-Squat/DL

Thursday
    AM- Bench Intensity/Press Volume
    Lunch break- Dips/Chins (or other accessory lifts)

Friday
    AM- DL/Squat Volume

Thanks,

Jake

If you only have one hour, you are pretty deep into the realm of suboptimal. Not so deep that you shouldn't even bother to lift, but I probably wouldn't be doing TM if I were you. Warm-up + volume work alone can take close to an hour for squats, and probably 35-45 mins for upper body. I'd probably do 5-6 ramping sets with the last 2-3 being work-sets, and plan on a 2-3 week cycle for PRs. You've heard of the term situational intermediate? You're a situational late intermediate, it seems.