starting strength gym

Thread: Ripptoe's Knee Wrap Video

Default Ripptoe's Knee Wrap Video

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Ripptoe's youtube video on knee wraps has made a dramatic improvement in my knee pain. I"m 54 and have had left knee pain for some time and I was just dealing with it and squatting light. The sleeves kept joint warm but didn't help with pain. I didn't think of using wraps before because I saw a Poliquin article once where he said they may contribute to development of osteoarthritis. Ripptoe isn't advocating heavy Inzer type wraps, but something more flexible and loose, a step above Ace bandages. It's going to be difficult for me to give them up at this point because I can now squat much heavier and not hobble around with pain, but wondering if anyone knows if there is any truth to osteoarthritis angle.

Never heard of that. I think maybe the 1200-pound "squats" sometimes associated with the longer heavier wraps may be a more significant factor in the osteoarthritis deal.

I really wanted to avoid geared lifting, but I remember reading in the last knee wrap thread where Coach told someone that they should use them if they needed them, concluding with something like "be ye neither a fool nor a pussy." I've only got one ACL, and I was starting to get the occasional twinge of pain when my form wasn't perfect. So I started wrapping, and 50 pounds later, all is well. I'm glad I caught that last thread, which is why I'm kind of regurgitating the point here. Nobody wants to be a Nancy, but suffering a foolish injury would obviously be worse.