• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi

I am male 18/5'10/195lbs

squat:300lbs*5*3
    deadlift:345lbs*5
    bench press:205lbs*5*3
    press:125lbs*5*2

last wednesday i did overhead press 125lbs and after the ugly 2nd set, my left chest and my left shoulder got a cramp and it was hurting a lot then on friday it was better so i did squat 295lbs. it was good but when i went on the bench, after the last warm up set, the shoulder was hurting a lot so i stopped my training.

Today i started with squat 300lbs, after the first set, my shoulder was hurting a bit but i wanted to finish my 300lbs squat so i went on to do my 2nd set. after the 2nd set, my left shoulder was killing me but i still went on to do my 3rd set which was stupid. although i finish all my squat sets, i couldn't move my shoulder at all.

2hours later which is now, i feel a lot better but i think i injured myself so i searched on the board for shoulder injury and you said that overhead press is the best in this thread:
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...?t=8229&page=1

then i searched bill starr's book the strongest shall survive and on the page159 2nd paragraph, he said that the injured shoulder should not be raised above shoulder level until the final stages of rehabilitation.

personnally i would wanna do press but i dont know anymore. so what should i do?

thank you in advance

Without knowing what's actually wrong, you're asking me to guess. I'd rather have more info.

now i have the full range of motion of my left shoulder without any pain but i think it would come back if i do bench, press or squat.

it is like soreness and pain inside the shoulders after doing these exercises. maybe rotator cuffs?

what would you suggest me to do? see an PT?

They are not usually very helpful. Take a video of your press at 95 lbs. and let's see if we can find a problem.

thanks

today i did press, after the warmup sets, i did 95lbs*5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeFFuPUMzWA

it was really easy and i didnt feel any pain or soreness so i moved the weight up to 115lbs and did a set of five but due to technical problem didnt record it, so i did a second set of five at 115lbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OXQREml5Us

then i felt a not good kind of soreness at the intercept of both my biceps and the elbows, but did not feel anything uncomfortable for triceps and shoulder.

i dont know whats going on...

i really would like to get back to the program thank you in advance

Quote Originally Posted by TXYM View Post
    thanks

today i did press, after the warmup sets, i did 95lbs*5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeFFuPUMzWA

it was really easy and i didnt feel any pain or soreness so i moved the weight up to 115lbs and did a set of five but due to technical problem didnt record it, so i did a second set of five at 115lbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OXQREml5Us

then i felt a not good kind of soreness at the intercept of both my biceps and the elbows, but did not feel anything uncomfortable for triceps and shoulder.

i dont know whats going on...

i really would like to get back to the program thank you in advance
    In order to avoid pissing off people, especially rip, you might consider rotating your video before posting.

Fucking sideways video. I don't see anything that would account for your arm pain. Not everybody can do this. Perhaps you are one of them if you can't work through it.

Hello.

There is a possibility that you can have developed RSI from your work and made it worse from bad lifts.
    I would check for trigger points in the infraspinatus muscle.

Best regards
    Daniel from Sweden

Wow, aside from the sideways video, this guy really gave a textbook post. All the info is there, he shows that he's done his homework and he provides video - in addition to being strong for 18 (OK, this is relative - he's the Hulk compared to me at 18).

I mean clearly he's trained a little to get to those numbers, right? I'm not sure I understand the tepid response. What would you do faced with his situation? Back off on weight for presses and try to work through it? Just plow ahead and wait to see if the pain takes care of itself or becomes debilitating? This seems to be a case of doing-everything-right-but-still-having-a-problem. That must happen, right?

WWRD?

starting strength coach development program
    Sorry for the sideways video
    Thanks for the advice
    Since my form is fine I'm just gonna stfu and do the work

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast