starting strength gym

Thread: A few questions about the deadlift, and a form check.

Default A few questions about the deadlift, and a form check.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Help will be greatly appreciated. I am honestly very grateful for all the help you guys give, it is quite generous.

First, the questions.

What are the knees supposed to do during the lift (such as shoved out, shoved in, or just kept in some position?)?

What are the hips supposed to do during the lift (IE how, or are they, supposed to move at the start or throughout the lift?)?

Also, could you please check my form? I'm concerned about my lockout position (might be a bit over exaggerated) and the hip movement that is at the start.

1st and final work set. 3rd and final exercise of the workout.

Your lockout position looks fine. Remember that it's called a lockout, so all you have to do is lock out all the joints and stand up as tall as you can.

I mentioned in your powerclean thread about your scapular retraction. You can see clearly here that it is effectively shortening your arms by about an inch, and making your deadlift that much more mechanically disadvantageous, in addition to potentially exposing you to some injury risk down the line.

Your knees should not be shoved anywhere. Your feet should be pointing mostly forward and slightly outward (much less outward than in the squat), and your knee/femur angle should align with your feet angle. As you start to pull the bar up, you should think about keeping your knees anchored in place for the most part. They will still need to move back gradually as the bar goes up, to get out of the way of the bar as the bar passes the knees, so that just takes practice.

The hips are like the knees, they should be mostly anchored in place as your quads and hip extensors raise the bar off the floor. Once the bar gets past the knees, your hips then need to shift forward more quickly as your hip extensors finish the pull, so that you don't end up hitching the bar at the top. You could do a better job with this, start the hips moving forward sooner after the bar passes the knees, and let the hip extensors finish the pull.

I don't see any unusual hip movement at the start of your deadlift.

Thank you for the thorough and helpful reply.