starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Check Request....Need help

Default Deadlift Check Request....Need help

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Howdy Everyone!

195x5 Deadlift here. I am having a lot of trouble keeping my lower back tight throughout the pull. Also at the top of the pull, my form feels real sloppy and I even think my elbows unlocked during one of the reps =/ Any assistance / critique would be fantastic. Thanks guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ywsh1qYZpE

You're going to need to narrow your stance by about 3-4 inches. The bar is too far back over your foot; when you're setting up, roll the bar forward so it's closer to your toes. You'll then need to lower your butt about 8 inches by bending your knees. From there, you'll need to set your back in extension; if you don't know how to do that, it's explained in the book, and there is also a video for it in the resources section.

Thanks for the reply Mike! I'll give it a shot tomorrow. I need to lower my butt by 8 inches? That seems pretty drastic!

If it's too much, we'll adjust from there after seeing how it looks. But right now, your butt is starting higher than your shoulders, it's way too high.

Record new video so that the camera is directly on the left or right from you, so it is easier to analyze the video.

Jsutt Guest

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubble View Post
    I need to lower my butt by 8 inches? That seems pretty drastic!
    Absolutely. These are straight-leg deadlifts, which are not a bad lift to use, but you need to make them regular deadlifts for the SS novice program.