starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grip on Deadlift

Default Grip on Deadlift

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I am currently using a double overhand grip at 260lb. My dominant hand has no issue with this, but the other hand is starting to slip. Options:

- Strengthen grip. What is a reasonable weight I can get to with double overhand?
    - Hook grip. I heard that you can lose some sensitivity in your thumb after a while. I use a thumb ball at work so I am scared to mess with this.
    - Alternate. I hear problems about asymmetry and possible torn bicep so I am leaning away from this.
    - Wraps. Is this even a reasonable option?

My primary thought it to just push the double overhand as far as possible. But not sure when that will be a problem. Hook and Alternate don't look that attractive. Wraps might be a decent option?

Quote Originally Posted by composite View Post
    - Hook grip. I heard that you can lose some sensitivity in your thumb after a while. I use a thumb ball at work so I am scared to mess with this.
    You heard? From where?

1. Everyone is different. Deadlifts and chins develop grip strength. Keep going until you can't.
    2. A callous forms, but you can apply athletic tape.
    3. Switch the supinated hand during your set. Also, don't jerk the bar up, which you shouldn't be doing anyway if your squoze is good.
    4. Not at this weight.

With hook grip I just feel a bit of pressure on my thumbs while actually lifting (the rest of my body has bigger fish to fry), I would not call my thumbs sore just slightly tender to the touch for 10ish minutes after lifting. I have tried going back to alternate a couple of times but it just feels unbalanced/wrong.
    Last edited by SJB; 03-16-2016 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Fickt engrish

Thanks for the thoughts. I have been messing around with the hook grip and it hurts, but I am sure I could eventually be OK with the pain. But even a callous might not be acceptable since I really need the sensitivity in my thumb (livelihood takes precedent).

I have been using the Captains of Crush hand grippers and static holds on my last deadlift rep. Based on the grippers, my dominant hand is quite a bit stronger than my weak hand. If the weak hand can support 260-280 now, I would think my dominant could support 300-350. So if I can just get the weak hand up to speed, I may OK for a while at least.

Quote Originally Posted by composite View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts. I have been messing around with the hook grip and it hurts, but I am sure I could eventually be OK with the pain. But even a callous might not be acceptable since I really need the sensitivity in my thumb (livelihood takes precedent).

I have been using the Captains of Crush hand grippers and static holds on my last deadlift rep. Based on the grippers, my dominant hand is quite a bit stronger than my weak hand. If the weak hand can support 260-280 now, I would think my dominant could support 300-350. So if I can just get the weak hand up to speed, I may OK for a while at least.

I use double overhand for all my warm ups and no chalk. When I get to my work set weight I use chalk and alternate grip. I have had no bicep issues. My grip strength has been going slowly up.

For what it's worth I DOH all warmup and hook all work sets. I deadlift twice a week (one higher rep lighter day) and have no callus development. I am a chronic masturbator though.

How long does it take get used to the hook grip? I heard it can take a few months. I have tried it with 80% of working weights and it was pretty painful.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    I use double overhand for all my warm ups and no chalk. When I get to my work set weight I use chalk and alternate grip. I have had no bicep issues. My grip strength has been going slowly up.
    Pretty much the same experience here. I was DOH for all sets until the weight starting getting up there (for me, 300-ish) and then tried a couple of sessions with alternating grip. I got a stretchy feeling in my bicep I didn't like and the assymetry just felt weird so now it's DOH, no chalk for all warm-up sets except the last, then DOH with chalk for last warm-up and hook and chalk for work set and then hook and chalk for my back-off set, because I'm tired by then. Thumbs are a bit uncomfortable for a while, but it's not too bad and I'm getting used to it.

-RJP

starting strength coach development program
    I also have no issue with alternate grip. I don't switch hands either. DOH on lighter warmups, then mixed grip for heavier warmups and worksets.

I chalk from my very first warmup. Seems bizarre to me not to. It's not like it's a "crutch" or anything, and it helps keep calluses to a minimum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast