starting strength gym

Thread: Push Press Danger?Also, shoulder pain?

Default Push Press Danger?Also, shoulder pain?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Question 1

I've done some pretty scary push-presses. For example, today I did a few sets. I pushed the weight up on the last rep and then I had to push through the end of the rep. My hips shot forward and my balance felt sketchy. I felt like the weight would have went through my chest if I failed the rep. I would have had my hips too far forward to catch the weight? I've done this multiple times. I never get injured, i miraculously maintain my balance, my lower-back doesn't get hurt, and I grind out the rep to lock out. So I feel like I could have died doing that rep today. Has anyone ever died from something like that? I've seen it in old videos too.. They do the press and then it turns into a standing incline press.It's one thing when it's a strict press and the weight is more controllable. You can throw up more weight with a push press then you can handle? Can you even fail the rep without dyeing???

Question 2
    I never paid attention but my shoulders were always healthy and pain free if I remember correctly. Maybe they hurt here or there but they were healthy.I did a few sets of high rep wide grip bench-presses a few days ago and my shoulders have been hurting ever since. I did my normal workout today and my shoulders were hurting. I assume my form was good because they don't usually hurt. Do I have to let them heal or will they get better if I continue using good form. I'm not planning to rest them unless I'm advised otherwise.
    Last edited by NY WC; 03-16-2016 at 08:38 PM.

28.....did texas method and had some decent prs. 500 deadlift, 380 squat, 200 standing press. Then stopped for 2 years (sucked). Started training again last November. I didn't really think about the wide grip bench that much. It was at the end of my workout and the weight was really light because I had just used it for close grip. So I just wanted to get a chest pump. Lesson learned..

My shoulders are noticeably better already but they still bother me a little when I lift my arms. They bother me a little when I overhead press but they do fire up when I bench. It doesn't really hurt after I rack the weight. It's more of an annoying inflammation. In fact it's always more annoying than anything else.