starting strength gym

Thread: Bench Press Form Check

Default Bench Press Form Check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Third week of SS, 75lbs, last 2/3 sets filmed, although the last one only had 4 reps... Oops.

How'd I do? Comments? Tips? Roast me.

How to Bench Press With Mark Rippetoe | Art of Manliness - YouTube

If you haven't read the book, do so. The biggest issue is you are touching the bar way to high at the bottom of the rep. You look like a "T" with your arms abducted 90deg from the torso. This will cause repeated shoulder impingement and rotator cuff issues over time.

Hi, I'm reading the book and watching the videos. I was afraid I was going too high... My issue is that I thought the barbell was to stay directly above your shoulders, making your arms vertical, and so when I did that, the barbell touched fairly high. What am I doing wrong? Do I not move in a vertical path? Are my shoulders too high? Is the bar in the wrong place?

In the 3rd edition, look at figure 5-14 in the bench chapter. Page 157 if you have a "hard" copy of the book (not sure what page in the kindle). A vertical bar path in not only poor form, but it is dangerous to your long term shoulder health. Where you should touch the bar to your chest can depend on your limb lengths and grip width, but in line with the nipples is a good starting point.