starting strength gym

Thread: Need short cues for all lifts

Default Need short cues for all lifts

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I searched the forum, but found there was too much info and found I don't really know enough to simplify the information.

I train alone, and am a novice lifter. I thought I had decent form, posted some videos, and realized I could use....um...some improvement.

I'd really like to laminate an 8x10 sheet of paper for each lift, with a couple 1 or 2 word cues to help me focus on form.

Problem is, I'm a novice and don't really know what cues are most helpful. Anyone want to be generous and give me a few cues (and short description of cue purpose) for a lift or two?

Again, if this already exists and I missed it, I'll accept the forum flogging and gracefully accept a redirection to where it exists.

Depends what needs to be improved on your lifts.

Oh, and I am reading the book. Just finished the press chapter and in the middle of the DL chapter. It's a lot of information, all good, but again I don't *yet* know how to simplify it for quick reference before a lift.

At this point, I think I'm so new to them, that general cues are what I'm after.

If I were take a stab at the squat:
    Shoulder width
    Lower back
    Big breath
    Stiff pelvis
    Eyes down
    SPREAD knees
    Lift your ass
    Hip hinge
    Squeeze
    Exhale

But, that might be out of order, etc. I guess I just wondered if there were a set of general cues for each lift that are universally used.

We are not going to be able to give you a satisfactory answer without either a very detailed explanation of a specific form fault you are having or a form check video (hint: video's probably easier!)

Also, general sets of cues and form corrections for common mistakes for each lift are listed in the book, if that helps.

starting strength coach development program
    It does. I keep wishing I had read the book before starting. But I'm trying to get through the book while I'm doing the program.

I appreciate the heads up.