starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    This is my first time on this form. I would like to have a form check on my squat. I had some hip and knee problems first time I tried starting strength six months ago due to technique errors. Eventually had to lay off and start the linear progression over. This is my second round.
    This is my third 3×5 set at 240.
    I did the extra rep because I've haven't been able to complete the last set on the the previous two workouts. This is the first workout after incorporating the light mid-week light squat day. Felt good so I was able to get 6 reps. Last two workouts could only finish 3 on last set.

Any technique a input would be much appreciated thank you!

squat form check - YouTube
    Last edited by Mike Donze; 03-11-2017 at 07:55 AM.

It looks like your leading with your chest on the way up. Try staying in your hips and think butt straight up. Also, make sure your heels dont come off the ground when locking the weight out, just seems like a dangerous thing to do with no real benefit.

You might try narrowing your stance just a bit. If your heels are constantly coming up, this suggests your weight is moving forward onto your toes. Think Vertical Bar Path from the very start of the rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia Inman View Post
    You might try narrowing your stance just a bit. If your heels are constantly coming up, this suggests your weight is moving forward onto your toes. Think Vertical Bar Path from the very start of the rep.
    This. Your stance is too wide; your heels are totally outside of your shoulders.

Your heels coming up means the bar path is not straight; you have it forward of midfoot. If you video yourself again from the side you'll see the bar going forward.