starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift 90 kg form check

Default Deadlift 90 kg form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Deadlift 90 kg 3-4-17 - YouTube

Tried to reduce lower back rounding.

Also could only do 4 reps because my grip was giving out and my hands hurt like hell.

Rep 2 is your best rep. One thing that is different about that rep is that you tighten up your back again *after* you take your breath. On the others, you set your back to varying degrees, but you lose some tightness when you take your breath. I suggest you take your breath first, hold it, then set your back, in that order.

Make sure you stand all the way up at the top. You don't lock out reps 3 and 4 fully. Your hips have to extend all the way.

If your grip is failing, you can switch to a hook grip or mixed grip. But 90 kg is usually a little early to need to do that. I bet you could use double overhand longer if you just put the bar down faster. Let gravity do the 'down' part of the lift. Keep your hands on it, but you don't have to lower it under such careful control.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Tully View Post
    Rep 2 is your best rep. One thing that is different about that rep is that you tighten up your back again *after* you take your breath. On the others, you set your back to varying degrees, but you lose some tightness when you take your breath. I suggest you take your breath first, hold it, then set your back, in that order.

Make sure you stand all the way up at the top. You don't lock out reps 3 and 4 fully. Your hips have to extend all the way.

If your grip is failing, you can switch to a hook grip or mixed grip. But 90 kg is usually a little early to need to do that. I bet you could use double overhand longer if you just put the bar down faster. Let gravity do the 'down' part of the lift. Keep your hands on it, but you don't have to lower it under such careful control.
    Here, I tried setting my back after taking a breath.

Deadlift 90 kg 06-04-17 - YouTube was able to get all 5 reps.