starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Physical job + SS

Default Physical job + SS

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello there.
    I am currently working at a warehouse where I lift and carry heavy objects the majority of the time, and walk around a lot.
    My working hours are subject to change relative to the demand on the products we produce and deliver, so sometimes I work 6 hours a day, sometimes 9-10 hours.
    How compatible this kind of work is with SS? I was wondering if I could achieve optimal strength gains while keeping a job that is physically demanding, and leaving me tired after a normal day?

Does anyone have any similar line of work, former experiences or tips?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bavnemand View Post
    Hello there.
    I am currently working at a warehouse where I lift and carry heavy objects the majority of the time, and walk around a lot.
    My working hours are subject to change relative to the demand on the products we produce and deliver, so sometimes I work 6 hours a day, sometimes 9-10 hours.
    How compatible this kind of work is with SS? I was wondering if I could achieve optimal strength gains while keeping a job that is physically demanding, and leaving me tired after a normal day?

Does anyone have any similar line of work, former experiences or tips?
    Thanks!
    It sucks, but you do adapt to it. The hardest part will be adapting to the initial stressors provided by SS. If you're eating enough to recover, and resting as much as possible outside of both avenues, you'll be fine. You'll already have adapted to your occupation.

I guess age is a wildcard here. If you're over 35, you may need to make some adjustments...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boa View Post
    It sucks, but you do adapt to it. The hardest part will be adapting to the initial stressors provided by SS. If you're eating enough to recover, and resting as much as possible outside of both avenues, you'll be fine. You'll already have adapted to your occupation.

I guess age is a wildcard here. If you're over 35, you may need to make some adjustments...
    Thank you for your answer. I am 20 years old, and 150lbs. Yeah, maybe you are right about the adaptation. But I guess this means that I'll have to eat a lot of food in order to gain weight and maintain an optimal rate of recovery, when my job is so physically demanding (on top of working out)?

20 year olds shouldn't worry about it too much. I have a physical job with an erratic schedule. Work will get easier as you get stronger. Unless you're dead tired after work it won't interfere with recovery. I did SS at 40.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavnemand View Post
    Thank you for your answer. I am 20 years old, and 150lbs. Yeah, maybe you are right about the adaptation. But I guess this means that I'll have to eat a lot of food in order to gain weight and maintain an optimal rate of recovery, when my job is so physically demanding (on top of working out)?
    20 years old. Good to go

Um, in terms of 150lbs, depends on how tall you are, and whether you want to gain weight. But if you're 5'8 or above, and want to gain weight, eat more than you currently do now. How much? I'd recommend caution in gaining too quickly unless your wrist circumference is 8" or more. Keep it simple for now, but clean up your diet, you simply cannot gain strength effectively (Regardless of surplus or not) eating a fairly typical diet, so ensure protein is on point (1g per lb of bodyweight, as close to that as possible, made up from as much animal or complete sources of protein you can) and throw in an extra meal on top of what you currently eat if you're wanting to start the gains. Weigh weekly and measure your waist too. Goes without saying that both measurements should be under similar conditions.

Keep it simple man, over-complication and anxiety is shit for people like me to deal with!

I worked a similar job through college when I was doing my LP. You'll be fine, just keep eating and take care of all the other aspects of recovery (sleep, stress, etc.)

If you're 150 pounds, you're going to need a hell of a lot more food than you're currently eating.

Do your googling by adding site:startingstrength.com after your key words. I believe this has been discussed a lot.

Thank you for all your answers. I'll make sure to take a big cup of coffee before each workout, and I should be good to go!

I'm starting at a construction job tomorrow, I'm gonna have to deal with the same shit too lol.

starting strength coach development program
    A big part is your diet and sleep, but also taking as much rest as you can, without getting cold, between sets and exercises when you do lift. Don't turn it into a conditioning session.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast