starting strength gym

Thread: Grip Strength

Default Grip Strength

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    You might have missed this (hopefully not ignored it) as i posted in another member's orginal thread. In any event, any help is appreciated?

Coach,

I have managed to work by deadlifts up to 285lbs, using double overhanded grip. I am not as comfortable in terms of maintaing form, using mixed for some reason, but even using this grip, its been difficult the last two sessions, as I have had an issue keeping the bar in my hands for a full set of 5 reps. I was curious at what point (in terms of lbs) to you see most novices (under six months of SS) really get issues with grip. And what suggestions do you have to avoid them having to begin using straps. Do the grip trainers (captains of crush) provide any benefit? Grip strength necessary for deadlift is mainly crush grip I assume?

I think I suggested the hook grip in response to the questions in that thread. Grip training may help, although it's very easy to overtrain it, and it may be necessary for you to overcome your aversion to the alternate grip.

I don't know if this is relevant, but one of my CrossFitters has chronically deadlifted heavy with a double overhand hook grip, and the lack of grip strength severely hampers him on pull-ups, kettlebells, etc. We have since made the change to deadlifting with an alternated grip to improve the grip strength.

As a rock climber, I can tell you that the one thing that has improved my grip strength dramatically is the deadlift. I've never tried any especially fancy grip strengtheners, but I had a Gripmaster for a while, and it didn't do shit. I may be wrong, but I'm thinking that if picking up a ca. 1" diameter bar with nearly 300# on it doesn't get your grip strong, I wouldn't hold out much hope for anything else improving it any more.

My possibly worthless two cents.

I didn't see chalk mentioned. I'm assuming if you were using chalk, you would have mentioned it?

If you aren't chalking, your grip isn't limited yet. I thought I had a weak grip...until I used chalk. Chalking at lighter weights allowed me to grip harder and to develop grip strength to levels far beyond that which I thought was possible. I've done double overhand up to 330lbs now - and could probably do more (haven't tried), whereas before I was slipping even with mixed grip at 265.

The finish and knurlings on the bars also makes a massive difference. I've found the black oxide and matt power bars and Eleiko bars in my club are way easier to grip than the cheaper high chrome Chinese bars with soft knurling that you typically find at Globo-gyms. Chalking helps level the playing field with respect to the bars, but I think the better bars are still better to grip. Even the top lifters at my club who have pulled over 650lbs in competition have issues at comparatively light weights with the shitty bars.

Weighted hangs from a chinup bar is probably the best exercise for improving grip for your deadlift.

When I started the S.S. novice program my grip strength was decent, from pullups and grappling, but I took the advice from the book, doing my deadlift warmup sets with double-overhand grip and switching to the mixed grip for the work set, and there has been a notable improvement in my grip, to the point where I can pull 355 for five with double-overhand. I guess just give it time.

Good point about the chalk. I have come across a great product that makes a good base before applying chalk, or works pretty well as a substitute if you're in a no-chalk kind of gym; it's called Tite Grip, and it's basically an alcohol-based antiperspirant for your hands. I originally got it for climbing, as it was marketed in a climbing magazine, but when I went to order it, I discovered that it's marketed to weightlifters, climbers, golfers, bowlers (seriously)...probably knitters and fly-tyers too, for all I know.

Worth a try. And pardon me if there's a rule against plugging products here - Rip, if you delete this post, at least check the stuff out yourself!

I disapprove of no-chalk gyms, as you're aware.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I disapprove of no-chalk gyms, as you're aware.
    They have no-chalk gyms?

That's so sad.

I like to hide little clumps of chalk in the corners, or near the racks, under some of the equipment, stuff like that so that I'll always have a stash ready. Unfortunately, it always seems to go missing. It's a little annoying, but I think it's a good idea to prepare ... even in the face of adversity.

Also, I like to mark my territory.