starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clean and Press as substitute for Press in SS?

Default Clean and Press as substitute for Press in SS?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    My training space doesn't have the ceiling clearance where the rack is to press the bar overhead. I do have the ceiling clearance and available floor space in another area. My deadlift is more 3x what I would be clean and pressing so the pull isn't really taxing at all. Is it okay to plug in the clean and press for the press? I really enjoy the athletic nature of the clean and press so I hope it doesn't interfere with the program. Thanks for the help.

The Clean & Press is one of the best exercises a man can do.

That's what I've read and that's what I've personally found out from doing it. The combination of speed, precision, and power make it a very challenging but rewarding lift. Acceptable substitute?

Why not just clean the first rep and then use truly heavy weight for cleans?

You may not be getting truly worn out doing cleans every rep, but you are not getting any real benefit for the clean then either.

Best case scenario: wasting time and energy. Worst case scenario: screwing with press progress.

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    Why not just clean the first rep and then use truly heavy weight for cleans?

You may not be getting truly worn out doing cleans every rep, but you are not getting any real benefit for the clean then either.

Best case scenario: wasting time and energy. Worst case scenario: screwing with press progress.
    That would be my thinking. Especially if your cleaning every rep. If I'm doing 3x5 worksets, or probably even 1x5 topsets, for presses the cumulative fatigue of cleaning every rep would definitely effect my press progress, especially if you're including warmups as well. And my press numbers are weak

That would work. I've never cleaned more than I can press. Maybe that means I haven't pushed myself on cleans or that I can just press a lot. When I do the entire movement it feels much more dynamic and my presses go up a lot faster even with weight ~30lbs above my non clean and press press.

Quote Originally Posted by B-MoreBeast View Post
    That would work. I've never cleaned more than I can press. Maybe that means I haven't pushed myself on cleans or that I can just press a lot. When I do the entire movement it feels much more dynamic and my presses go up a lot faster even with weight ~30lbs above my non clean and press press.
    Because you're really just doing a push press.

Edit cuz in idiot
    Last edited by MattJ.D.; 12-02-2015 at 06:45 PM.

I'm actually not a "good" push presser, it's not much more than my Press 2.0. My clean and press just feels like a much more natural and fluid movement. When looking at video I surprisingly had very little layback compared to my Press 2.0. Just my personal situation...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by B-MoreBeast View Post
    I'm actually not a "good" push presser, it's not much more than my Press 2.0. My clean and press just feels like a much more natural and fluid movement. When looking at video I surprisingly had very little layback compared to my Press 2.0. Just my personal situation...
    Show us a video of you clean and pressing.

The reason why I'm skeptical of that is because if you're doing a clean and press with momentum, you are using some leg drive from the clean to help you. When you clean, you squat down to catch the bar, and if you wanna keep that momentum going, you press as you're coming up. If you stop to just press after a clean, you have no more momentum.
    Last edited by Darkroman; 12-02-2015 at 07:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast