starting strength gym

Thread: Power Clean Form Check - 95lbs

Default Power Clean Form Check - 95lbs

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey, I'm new to power cleans and have been having a bit of trouble. I'm embarrassed by the poor form in these videos, and I know I'm doing a lot wrong, but hoping you can give some practical advice.

Power Clean 3rd Set (Side):
    Power Clean - 95 lbs (Side) on Vimeo

Power Clean 5th Set (Front):
    Power Clean - 95 lbs (Front) on Vimeo

Thanks!
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 02-03-2017 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Fixed links

Your reps improved throughout the set. The first one had a bit of an arm pull, but that went away. You tend to rack the bar too slowly and catch it in your hands. This also causes you to lean back when you receive the bar. Commit to catching the bar on the shoulders. Let it roll into your fingertips and get it on to the meat of your deltoids. Let's start there. Also, get yourself some Olympic weightlifting shoes. You will like em.

Thanks, I did remember straight elbows after the first.

I'm going to do a bunch of practice reps tomorrow and see if I can get the rack right. Rewatched the front video now and can see how I kind of flex my shoulders AFTER the bar is basically sitting in my hands and touching my clavicle (no wonder it was sore...). Am I supposed to come forward a little to get under the bar?

My Adipower's were delivered yesterday. Will be trying them shortly. Also have Romaleos II on the way - will see which I like better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't want to come forward to get under the bar. You want to land in largely the same place, but have the bar land on your shoulders. The bar does not have a perfectly vertical path after it touches the thigh. It does a little loop back on to the shoulders, which is handy since that prevents you from going forward.

Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 02-08-2017 at 01:04 AM.

Do me a favor. Get me one video shot from the front oblique at hip height that shows all of you. Also, for whatever reason, Vimeo videos do not embed properly here when using the video tag. Just plop the link in the text and it will work out better.

Sounds good. I'll do it this weekend.

starting strength coach development program
    Those aren't bad, man. I liked your fifth set better than the second. Better start position. Work on making the jump faster. Moar weight.