starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unsolicited Squat Advice

Default Unsolicited Squat Advice

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    I started going to the gym about two months ago and luckily stumbled upon Starting Strength pretty early. I've read the book, watched a lot of the videos on here and tried to incorporate as much as possible. However, I'll be honest, I don't really have much of a clue if what I am doing is correct.

I have started to receive unsolicited critiques of my squat form from a personal trainer (who has his clients doing the most ridiculous exercises) and advice from a couple of 'gym bros'. Their advice has ranged from 'look up as much as possible' to 'never drive with your hips' and so I felt comfortable ignoring them. However, it does make a newbie uncertain of form and I do feel that I am dropping more into good mornings than proper squats. Any advice you have would be much appreciated!

Here is my video which includes a side and back view: http://tinyurl.com/mqfoa4l

Ignore the bro's. Your off to a good start but need to keep improving. Read and reread SS3. Watch rip's video's and keep submitting vid's. I would recommend you submit to the coaches Q&A but get a good set of 5 from a rear 45 angle (see sticky for details) before you do. In the meantime; You need to take a deep breath (valsalva) at the top of the squat and hold it to tighten the cylinder, not blow all the air out. Head should be neutral with eye gaze about 3 ft in front of you. Set your hips and clamp down on your abs, from here nothing moves except the hips and knees. Hips break and knees go OUT (think towards the wall) knee's should reach their target point (Google TUBOW if needed) about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way down. After this point keep pushing the hips back and tilt you pelvis toward the floor. Again your tightness should be consistent, at the bottom of the squat drive up with your hips as if a chain were pulling your hips up from the ceiling. Release your breath ONLY at the top of the squat the repeat for next rep.

Your holding too vertical of a chest. Let your hips go back. Your lifting you chest as you come out of the hole and its killing you hip drive. Your also losing tightness which is causing the weight to move forward of your mid-foot. Everyone has these issues to some degree or another when they start. Slow down a bit, stay focused on consistent setup, staying tight, getting your knees OUT and keeping the weight over the mid-foot throughout the movement. Take another vid and repost.

Like jbrophy said, there are plenty of things to work on, but it's good positioning and depth overall. The main thing is the breathing. I don't know where you got the idea to breath out before lifting, but it's exactly the wrong thing to do. You're letting go of all your support. Fix that, and a lot of the smaller problems will be fixed as well.

For the video, there's no need to use tinyurl. You can simply insert a link: Squat Video. This lets us check where we're going, for those of us who care to do so, by either hitting "Reply With Quote" or right-clicking and "Copy Link Location."

These are indeed a good start. To add to what has already been said, I would narrow your stance about an inch on each side. It's evident in your 2nd set that your knees could still get out more, and a narrower stance will facilitate that. It will also ensure you hit depth on every rep by leaning over and sitting back once your knees hit the proper spot.

Like Nick said, not a bad start. Stand up straighter and lift your chest in between reps. You are stooping over. Deep breath valsalva and lift the chest. Push knees out hard--this will help your back angle and the "squat morning" as you're coming out of the hole.

Eat. Eat. Eat.
    Consider GOMAD--it takes some getting used to but it works and you don't have to do it forever. I started out real skinny, too. You don't have to do GOMAD forever and it takes some getting used to, but it works. (I did it for 2.5 months then backed off to a half gallon for another couple months, now I do 32oz. a day). Extra bodyweight will help all the lifts.

Yep, in agreement with above. Good start. The unsolicited squat advice will probably yield as you get stronger.

I will add a little against the idea of blowing at the top of the squat. Take a deep breath in and hold it until you complete each squat. At the top blow out then breath in and hold it. That is Valsalva and it aids you to lift greater weight. You literally blow away your body's advantage when you exhale.

Your depth looks good. Ignore the nincumpoops at the Gym.

Cheers for all the advice! Shall incorporate and re-post a video. No idea what I was doing with the breathing, have used the valsalva in my other lifts and seen the positive effect so no clue as to why I thought it was not applicable in the squat.

i was going to say that the advice will change to sheepish questions and eventually nothing once you start squatting more than them.

i can't offer any actual advice on your technique that has not already been said above.

keep up the good work and watch the gainzzz flow. also eat lots.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by 16bit View Post
    i was going to say that the advice will change to sheepish questions and eventually nothing once you start squatting more than them.
    Good luck with that. It'll lessen, but it never stops. Someone will always tell you that you need to be more upright, or your knees shouldn't pass your toes, or your feet shouldn't be pointed out... It never really stops, it just happens less frequently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast