starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check

Default Squat check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    I decided to take a covert video of my last set of squats (242.5x4). Unfortunately I neglected to move the magazines out of the way, so the view is obscured. If I'm an idiot for posting this video anyway, feel free to tell me. I just wanted to see if any points for improvement could be found in this video anyway, since it was my last set I didn't retake it. Never had anyone check my squats. It seems the bar is moving forward a bit on the way up.
    I'll see if I can take another video on monday, minus magazines. Thanks for any help.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aJqD-XiN7U

Take another video. Review the sticky for filming form checks and try to fill as many criteria as possible, not just "minus magazines." There's a lot of other stuff in the way here. If your gym doesn't allow filming, a shoe can usually prop up a phone pretty well and still conceal it.

Two things I saw - first is that your head position and gaze is downwards and in line with your body on the descent, but once you start coming out of the hole, your head becomes parallel to the ground. You also seem to be backing off in intensity once you get near the top of the rep. You should be pushing upwards hard throughout the entirety of the rep - make the bar move swiftly.

Take my comments with a grain of salt, as the video angle is poor, and another view could show much more important factors.