starting strength gym

Thread: Overtraining during Starting Strength?

Exclamation Overtraining during Starting Strength?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm going to be as detailed as possible. I'm sorry if this is too long but I'm just trying to figure it all out.

23 year old male from Costa Rica, 173 cms, 147 lbs with shoes.

Been on SS for 3 months but lifting for more than a year.

I always had a problem with soreness. I asked you and you said most of the time is a nutrition problem. So I started eating more and it definitely helped, but I am ALWAYS at least a little sore during each workout. I am aware there are some people that get more sore than others, but still.

After warming up (7 minute bike, some dynamic stretching, warm up sets) it usually goes away (but not entirely) and I'm able to do the work sets.

I usually last 1:30 hour with each workout. Sometimes even more. I've reached the point where it's very hard to keep adding weight to most exercises. Is that too much time for a workout?

My squat has gone from 115 lbs to 190 lbs. My deadlift from 135 lbs to 200 lbs. My bench from 115 lbs to 155 lbs. My press from 55 lbs to 85 lbs.

Anyways, fast forward to about 10 days ago, I've been getting a LOT of soreness on the hip flexors. Last workout on saturday I finished extremely sore in all my legs, to the point where I couldn't even walk normally.

I sleep a lot (9-10 hours per day) and I always rest 2 days at the end of the week. So I'm definitely resting enough.

Before you say "eat more", I try to eat all I can, to the point where I get a lot of gas and sometimes stomach ache and even diarrhea lol. I try to eat the most protein I can, I drink 1 liter of milk a day (I'm a little intolerant, can't drink too much), one scoop of 23g whey protein everyday, oats, eggs, beans, tuna, cheese, turkey sandwiches, etc. I know I probably should eat more, but I'm doing everything I can. I gained 10lbs of muscle during the last 2-3 months.

It might be a technique problem but I am a GEEK when it comes to that and watch a lot of videos and read a lot. Will soon upload a video anyway.

Today I was so sore I had to lower the weight in my squat 10% and still had a lot of soreness (especially hip flexors) during all my work sets. I even had to skip doing my deadlifts because it was painful when lowering the weight. The soreness have been increasing during the last days.

During the rest days I don't feel too much soreness, but when I squat down I can feel it.

Is this the classic example of overtraining? Should I take a week off?

It's very frustrating, I started doing the program with a friend who never gets sore, and he even swims on his rest days. He weighs 165 lbs and I don't think he eats that much more than me.

Yes, it is a classic example of overtraining due to undereating. You are 5' 8" at 147 lbs. By any estimation you need to gain 40 pounds to be considered a lifter, 20 to be even considered fit. You have gained 10 lbs. in the past 2 months where most of my trainees gain 10 lbs. in the first two weeks. Sorry, but you have to eat more or train less.